Big toe injury

I have recently developed a pain at the back of my big toe after running a 21km. At 1st I just ignored it because I realy pushed myself hard during the 21. Did not experienced it again during normal training. But last week I did my 1st marathon and I had to walk the last two km because the pain was unbearably. A day later it was gone. Went for a sunday walk and it is back again. Googled it and now I am worried. I have a suspicion my shoes contributed to it. Started running with my new set of NB just before the 21. But it is excactly the same type that I used previously.

Any recommendations on somebody that I can see on this, Dr; physiotherapists?? in the PTA area.

I have recently developed a pain at the back of my big toe after running a 21km. At 1st I just ignored it because I realy pushed myself hard during the 21. Did not experienced it again during normal training. But last week I did my 1st marathon and I had to walk the last two km because the pain was unbearably. A day later it was gone. Went for a sunday walk and it is back again. Googled it and now I am worried. I have a suspicion my shoes contributed to it. Started running with my new set of NB just before the 21. But it is excactly the same type that I used previously.

Any recommendations on somebody that I can see on this, Dr; physiotherapists?? in the PTA area.

By the back of your big toe do you mean the top/not floor side (called the dorsum)? Do you mean the joint just behind the nail (IPJ) or a little further towards the heel where your toe joins the foot (MTPJ 1) joint?

Many possibilities. Check the following first: Bunion/Hallux bursitis (could be shoes) and Hallux Rigidus (nothing to do with shoes). Others include Metatarsalgia etc. If you don't come right PM me. (Going to Sani this week).

Hi Talus

It is on the top and where the toe meets the foot. Will do some more research this week and also try a run with my old pair of shoes.

thanks

Some feedback. Went to the podiatrist (was not even aware that there is such a profession) on Tuesday. Possible hairline fracture caused by a combination of sudden increase in distance (went from a few 10k per week to a 21 and 42 in 3 weeks) and new shoes. I use shoes that compensate for pronating.

Did a run yesterday with my old shoes. Definitely felt better.

Taking it slower for the next two weeks. Keep to less than 10k per session. Alternate between old and new shoes and gradually increase distance with new shoes. Also received sonar heat treatment.

Thanks for the advice