Carbon HT vs Alu Dual Sus

26er

I would like your opinions on which way to go on the following:

Budget :R30k

Type of racing:One day Marathon +- 80km(Maybe one stage race a year)

Would you rather go proper carbon HT or Entry level Alu Dual Suspension?

Thanks in advance!

I've got a Trek Superfly FS8, Alu. Its a beast on the climbs and trails...

Dual suspension, no doubt. Modern alu frames are in any case as close as dammit to carbon ito weight (giant frame is often lighter than many carbon options) and the versatility of the dual susser will be far more than the hardtail. Plus you'll be better off with the full susser on technical climbs and descents, plus corrugated roads.

No brainer, really

Gaint Anthem X, upgrade Wheels AC Wide Lightnings, with a bit of sleek buying skills, and a twist of the arm, it could be done for R30k,...thank me later????

Buy a good soft tail frame with cheaper components and upgrade components later.

Check out carbon29er for a specific build you choose.

Dual-sus alu FTW in my opinion,I know of a keen racing snake who changed from carbon hardtail to alu dual-sus recently and in his words : "comfort is king".[emoji106]

I went from a alu 26'er full suss to a carbon 29'er HT

I got the bike second hand, and at the time it fitted in with my budget, that was the main reason for deciding to get the HT.

I took a long hard look at what I ride. I do lots of riding eraly morning in the dark and am not allowed to do the trails before sunrise. I also realized that a long ride consist more of gravel tar road and an hour to hour and a half trails. When we do trail, they are mostly so manacured that it is actually not problem on the hardtail.

I've done about 4500km on this hardtail, including W2W, Tankwa Trek, Trans Karoo, different types of riding.

My situation called for looking at price, quality, riding style and to me the HT ticked all the boxes. I don't think you will ever be as ckmfortable on a HT as FS, so FS will always win the argument. At the end you need to look at you situation.

One last thing, on a HT it is very difficult to do a leasurely sunday single track ride, cause then the HT won't absorb all the bumps, it does feel better though if you go faste, so you need to be fit.

Also, the type of HT does make a difference, geometry, etc.