XT Shadow plus derailuer stiff when clutch engaged

Lance Roberts

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but when I engage the clutch on my XT RD it makes the shifting a lot stiffer on the lever.

Any suggestions, or is a this normal?

Could my chain be too short as I have converted to 1x10 recently. Not sure if it was like that before converting...

post-41665-0-04761300-1431877052_thumb.jpg

Its normal for shifting to feel a bit more stiff than with the clutch off. You can adjust the clutch preload on the derailleur to reduce this effect if you think its too much.

Its normal for shifting to feel a bit more stiff than with the clutch off. You can adjust the clutch preload on the derailleur to reduce this effect if you think its too much.

Ok cool, if it's normal then I'm happy, was just a bit worried that it would damage the shifter.

Will look into the rebound adjustments, but I'd rather leave it as is because I haven't had any chain drops as it is now.

Thanks for the replies.

Ok cool, if it's normal then I'm happy, was just a bit worried that it would damage the shifter.

Will look into the rebound adjustments, but I'd rather leave it as is because I haven't had any chain drops as it is now.

Thanks for the replies.

I also went 1x10 and brought a clutch derailuer and found that the shifting was poor with clutch on. With the clutch off I haven't dropped a chain I think because its new it is stiff enough with out the clutch. Turn yours off and see how you go   

I also went 1x10 and brought a clutch derailuer and found that the shifting was poor with clutch on. With the clutch off I haven't dropped a chain I think because its new it is stiff enough with out the clutch. Turn yours off and see how you go

Will give it a shot on my next training ride.

Thanks for that.

Nice colouton your Scott. That seat post looks helluva extended. Do you still have enough inside to save your frame?

Nice colouton your Scott. That seat post looks helluva extended. Do you still have enough inside to save your frame?

The CB seat post is a bit different, it doesn't have numbers to tell you the minimum insert length, it uses dots. There are still a lot of dots left over, and I got the longest post, 400mm, so I think it should be ok. What is the standard distance that you should have in the frame?

No - not supposed to be a lot stiffer - no real difference in shifting with my clutch on or off.

You might want to adjust the amount of resistance on the clutch.

I never ride with my clutch off - just release clutch to remove wheel.

No - not supposed to be a lot stiffer - no real difference in shifting with my clutch on or off.

Is it quite easy to adjust the resistance?

Just googled it, all good on how to set it now, thanks.

The CB seat post is a bit different, it doesn't have numbers to tell you the minimum insert length, it uses dots. There are still a lot of dots left over, and I got the longest post, 400mm, so I think it should be ok. What is the standard distance that you should have in the frame?

With a 400mm seat post you could have 250mm extending from the frame and a 150mm in the seat tube that should be OK. I suppose it depends on the frame and rider weight.

Edited by Jakkels

Shifting shouldn't be "poorer", but more "positive" for sure when the clutch is on.

You get used to the "harder" feel quickly.

Chain drop comes from cross chaining in mainy instances.

Try to have your chain as "in-line" as possible at all times.

Clutch RD's are awesome!

With a 400mm seat post you could have 250mm extending from the frame and a 150mm in the seat tube that should be OK. I suppose it depends on the frame and rider weight.

I'm gonna be running to the garage in the morning to measure my seat post. Thanks for the info.

The clutch requires more pull. If your gear cable is old and gunked up the friction in there will amplify the extra force needed. Get a new gear cable and housing and it will get much better!

The clutch requires more pull. If your gear cable is old and gunked up the friction in there will amplify the extra force needed. Get a new gear cable and housing and it will get much better!

Does not require more pull - it is a clutch not a stronger spring.