Review: Forca SPS-400 adjustable seatpost

Nick

The Forca dropper seatpost is a low tech mechanical adjustable seatpost. While you may want to cringe at the thought of a spring and pin operated mechanism between the legs, the Forca is a solid offering and features benefits over hydraulic or air operated systems.

Click here to view the article

There are some plastic bushes inside that will need to be replaced a few times a year. So I think the service kits for this are important. The seat post is very easy to service. Takes about five minutes to give everything a clean and oil.

I love my dropper post and has made huge difference to my riding.

Nice review! Been looking into these posts, I have one question that I can't find the answer to: Is there any side to side play like many dropper posts have? Or how long does it take to develop play?

Nice review! Been looking into these posts, I have one question that I can't find the answer to: Is there any side to side play like many dropper posts have? Or how long does it take to develop play?

Hi tom893

If you wiggle the saddle off the bike there is lateral play, which I was a bit concerned about at first. But I have yet to feel it while riding the bike. I've been using the seatpost for just over 2 months.

Nice review Nick. 

I always thought it was a Tmars clone too.

What have they changed?

The pin mechanism housing on the post is different to the Tmarz. I asked about this and apparently the whole pin mechanism has been reworked by Forza. Otherwise, most of it looks very similar if not identical to the Tmarz on the outside. I can't comment on the similarity of the internal parts. If anyone has a Tmarz, it would be interesting to get them two side by side.

Also Cycle Factory make one change from the stock they receive from Forca, they replace the activation cable with one of a higher quality.

The need to lightly weight the post to take the main spring's pressure off the lock pin so it can retract and let the post rise is a bit disappointing, they should have engineered it so that was overcome. On the fox dss they use ball bearings to lock the post, and that release probably works rather like the the lock ball on a socket ratchet, which would mean the lock balls can retract even under spring pressure.

The need to lightly weight the post to take the main spring's pressure off the lock pin so it can retract and let the post rise is a bit disappointing, they should have engineered it so that was overcome. On the fox dss they use ball bearings to lock the post, and that release probably works rather like the the lock ball on a socket ratchet, which would mean the lock balls can retract even under spring pressure.

I have to agree. This actually puts me off getting one (or posts requiring similar).

True. I've ridden one and it's really only a major issue when already chasing down single track and you want to lift your saddle again for thoes pedally bits. Anyone say Welvanpas? But for the money I could forgive this trade as at R2k there will be a lot of riders who will be able to afford the luxury of a dropper seat post now.

I figure it's better to have one that is at least reliable than not at all.

I think the pricing is about R500 off. At R1500 it would be a no-brainer but at R2k for a rather rudimentary setup I'd start considering biting the bullet hard and investing in a KS rather.

I think the pricing is about R500 off. At R1500 it would be a no-brainer but at R2k for a rather rudimentary setup I'd start considering biting the bullet hard and investing in a KS rather.

2K competes directly with the Giant SL Dropper which can be run external and stealth.

2K competes directly with the Giant SL Dropper which can be run external and stealth.

I don't know much about the Giant SL, any good?

The proprietary anti-twist internals (four triangular tracks running on the stanchion tube) is a plus. I believe they work very well.