Rollers or something

epoh

Hey epoh why dont I hold your back wheel in the air while you pedal like made in the start pen' date=' that should get you warm! LOL [/quote']

Mental image, Lucy holding the ball for Charlie Brown and pulling it away as he goes for the kick. Could end up kinda similar!!

So did the rollers work Epoh?  I also have trouble getting warmed up before a race and would be interested to know what the difference would be between the rollers and indoor trainer for warming up before the race?

I personally think rollers are better.  Because they are such a light resistance it is impossible to let the pre-race nerves get away from you and you warm up too hard, or the opposite when you feel like your legs are heavy because the resistance feels too high.

Also, rollers force you to have a good rhythm, which is good for pre-race.

A friend of mine sold her indoor trainer to buy rollers and says they're much better. 

For warming up I can see your point Bruce, but isn't the resistance settings on an indoor trainer more useful for training?  Don't you miss it on the rollers?  I believe you use normal gears on the rollers for resistance? 

What do they normally retail for?

So half an hour at moderate intensity for warming up or what? 

I do 20 minutes.  Start on small chainring, maybe 39/19 and change to a bigger gear every 2 minutes or so, keeping cadence constant.  Then after 10 minutes or so I ride 1 minute on 53/11 at about 55km/h, another couple of minutes on 53/21, one more minute 53/11, and then five minutes on the small blade.

Oh yes, I have a wicked playlist on my iPod - Metallica, Greenday, Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc - just to get in the mood!

A friend of mine sold her indoor trainer to buy rollers and says they're much better. 

For warming up I can see your point Bruce' date=' but isn't the resistance settings on an indoor trainer more useful for training?  Don't you miss it on the rollers?  I believe you use normal gears on the rollers for resistance? 

What do they normally retail for?
[/quote']

Chilli my dear, why have one when you can have them all.  I have a trainer for every occasion Smile.  I have a Computrainer, a fluid trainer, a magnetic trainer and rollers (only missing the wind!!)

But then I am a bit of a bike geek Geek

So half an hour at moderate intensity for warming up or what? 

I think your warm up need to be sort of based on how you anticipate your race is going

to be like. Like I knew my race was gonna be hard and fast from the gun so I had to

be ready for that. In my case, I pushed it up a bit and maintained it for a bit so that my body kicks in and prepare itself for what is to come in the early part of the race...

Not sure where you at but I would suggest during the duration of your warm up run your heart rate up at least twice after say 5 min and then 5 min before the end of your warm up....you do not have to maintain it for long..your body will dispatch and release whatever is necessary to prepare you for the stress that you are about to endure and also activate your race/training memory.

i find that if i had a hard week of training and a rest day before the race my legs takes a while to kick in...also like last week i was off ill i was not very active so not good to jump right into a race at full speed..so was very important to ease into it.

um...do i sound too experty? actually..  dont listen to me i have only tried it once LOL

Because I can't afford them all!!!CryCry

Any unattached sugardaddies out there (or young fellows with fat wallets) who want to support a struggling cyclist-wannabe?....