Nissan Trailseeker #2 lionman

corriekuilder

TOUGH IS RELATIVE

Relative to........? This is my first trailseeker marathon,did the half marathons previously,and needless to say,this is my first time at mabalingwe. As the saying goes,just ride what is in front of you,bwahahahahaha

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year the start was at the camping site, in the reserve.

Hey Guys'nGals,

Where is the physical start of the race, I am trying to get a fix on when I must leave my digs to get to the start, is it by pool complex or the airfield maybe?

Last year the start was at the camping site, in the reserve.

The start and finish will be on the airfield.

Thanks - there's nothing like doing a bit of game viewing on the way to a MTB race start - dang I love Africa!

Relative to........? This is my first trailseeker marathon,did the half marathons previously,and needless to say,this is my first time at mabalingwe. As the saying goes,just ride what is in front of you,bwahahahahaha

I think you will be 100% - nothing to worry about - I always thought 70km was far until I did the 361 so my perspective changed on what is far and difficult :):)

gps co-ords, please?

even better, could you put down one of those google marker thingies so we can find in google maps?

what is est driving time from jhb?

thank you.

Hubbers...

This is my first race, any tips/advice? We've signed up for the 40km. I ride every weekend doing 30-50km. 

Not looking at being competitive, looking and gaining some experience. I need a little help on rules etc and what to expect. 

I have a decent enough bike and have all the kit. Am I allowed my hydration pack? What about music? 

Most importantly, how is this one's route? I've heard everyone say its a tough one, but they're all doing/have done the 70km

I'm relatively new to the racing scene (6 in the past year and a bit) but here are my tips:

1. Be patient: You will be at the back of the seedings and might not be able to go at your usual pace until you get a better seeding.  

2. Track!: if you are faster that others overtake on the right when it is safe to do so, to let someone know you want to overtake call "Track" and they will find a safe place for you to overtake (unless they're a 'koos').

3. Track!: If someone is yelling this at you, find a safe place to move to the left and let them go (unless you are a 'koos') ;-) Also, if you stop, get off the trail asap.

4. Kit: Hydration pack is good, small munchies/gels are good, you will probably have some snacks on offer at the water points, stick with what you're used to (NOT: "hey a potato, let me try 6 and see how it goes")

5. Music: No no, not safe. Neither is a go pro on your helmet or chest (according to the organizers) so get a handlebar mount to avoid disappointment.

6. Have fun: The time may come when its all about the podium, until then, enjoy the ride!

See you on the trail.

I'm relatively new to the racing scene (6 in the past year and a bit) but here are my tips:

1. Be patient: You will be at the back of the seedings and might not be able to go at your usual pace until you get a better seeding.  

2. Track!: if you are faster that others overtake on the right when it is safe to do so, to let someone know you want to overtake call "Track" and they will find a safe place for you to overtake (unless they're a 'koos').

3. Track!: If someone is yelling this at you, find a safe place to move to the left and let them go (unless you are a 'koos') ;-) Also, if you stop, get off the trail asap.

4. Kit: Hydration pack is good, small munchies/gels are good, you will probably have some snacks on offer at the water points, stick with what you're used to (NOT: "hey a potato, let me try 6 and see how it goes")

5. Music: No no, not safe. Neither is a go pro on your helmet or chest (according to the organizers) so get a handlebar mount to avoid disappointment.

6. Have fun: The time may come when its all about the podium, until then, enjoy the ride!

See you on the trail.

when riding through the lion camp just make sure you faster then the slowest oak then youll be fine

See you on the trail.

"NOT: "hey a potato, let me try 6 and see how it goes")"

Ha ha ha - how very, very TRUE is that statement?

Like my riding partner at sani, "Hey, what's this kief blue usn stuff?" and then proceeds to drink 3 cups of it..  He blew blue chunks less than 500m up the track.  Classic.

Ok so what tyre pressures you guys thinking?(29er HT). A bit of all kinds of terrain.

Glad you asked the question and based on the responses received I reckon I will drop my pressures...thinking 1.7/1.8.

See you on the trail.

Haha, thanks Stephen. I'll give the potatoes a skip.

The rest sounds like sound advice. I'll remember the "Track" rule

See you guys on the trail :)

Archived