Feet cramps while riding

Hi all.

I do not get cramps in my legs back or arms while cycling. But when I get on my bike, after about 5 km into the ride my feet starts cramping. I thought this will go away when I am more fit etc, but it doesnt. It is actually getting more painful.

I ride flats with cages on. and use "tekkies" with a very thin stiff sole and no padding.

My question how do I stop that from happening?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about that. Already have the pedals, but don't want to spend R1500 on a pair of shoes if its not going to help..... 

Also been finding this lately - I think the stiff soles have an impact, because on my old shoes this did not happen - the new ones are much stiffer.

It seems to be worse on climbs when I sometimes tend to scrounge my toes.

I was thinking about that. Already have the pedals, but don't want to spend R1500 on a pair of shoes if its not going to help..... 

What size shoe do you wear?

Buy a second-hand (newly) pair of shoes on the hub or gumtree for cheap (+-R300), and try them out. Your shoes are anyway going to get dirty within the first two rides, its (almost?) winter..

Also been finding this lately - I think the stiff soles have an impact, because on my old shoes this did not happen - the new ones are much stiffer.

It seems to be worse on climbs when I sometimes tend to scrounge my toes.

But how would cleats help then? The shoes are so stiff that it can not bend at all? 

How do you get rid of you cramps? 

Buy a second-hand (newly) pair of shoes on the hub or gumtree for cheap (+-R300), and try them out. Your shoes are anyway going to get dirty within the first two rides, its (almost?) winter..

This is a good idea, ill probably just give them a decent maycota powder treatment. 

mostly a nine. 

Cool. PM me your address please.

Ill send you a pair of slightly used shoes.

If they don't work for you, you can donate them to your local bike charity.

What a man!! :thumbup:

mostly a nine. 

Road or MTB - I have a set of 9,5 Giro road shoes that I bought which are basically brand new and I am a size 10 - just never got around to advertising them. Make me an offer and they are yours if you need road shoes.

PMed!!

Give that man a Bells. 

Thank you Vetseun. 

Don't know if cleats would help - unless they're softer soled.

Usually I give them a good rub (no fun... :mellow: ) and hope for it to go away!

Archived