Giant anthem

eccc whippet

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok it looks like trying to source an anthem 2014/5 second hand is just not going to happen ...contacted every bicycle in kzn...and they had the same answer...people like their anthems and don't give them up...all the reviews I have read have all been good....and I got to test ride the anthem and the trance...so I have decided to buy a new anthem.

I spent the day today trying to get one of the lbs to convince me that their product was a lot better than the anthem (R26 k) and justify the additional 10 000 cost for a similar speck Scott (R35 k) for example.

Looks like I have made wise choice...selecting an anthem.

I enquired about the 2016 anthem which should arrive here at the end of July beginning of August...I am told there are only gona be cosmetic changes color...inner tube cabling...etc

It seems the competition uses the fact that giant still use the proven maestro suspension to promote their upgraded system...which on the Merida for example seems to have failed and the Merida will have an upgraded/downgraded suspension in 2016...the Scott system seems to have such bad reviews in the past about their crap suspension and has also since been upgraded...to fox CTD...the only difference between the Scott and the giant fox components is the fact that one locks out completely and the other doesn't...but as the fella selling the trek bikes indicated...if you fit suspension to a motor vehicle why would want to switch it off...if you want to ride on road and accelerate...get a road bike.

I am too inexperienced to make a decision as to which bike I should get...so I am relying on all the advice from lbs....mates and articles I read on the Internet.

I also don't believe I could out ride the anthem capabilities at this point in time...if someone could justify the R10000 price difference between a Scott 940 and a giant anthem...I am all ears.

A tip for sales people in bike shop.s...we not all as poor and dumb as we look....never judge a book by its cover...if you believe in your product is superior let people experience it...get a shop at Giba for example and make sure you have demo models...so that customers can experience the product...there is nothing worse than out laying huge volumes of money for a product which sounded so great but when you actually get on it...its not as great as the sales pitch.

I must say it has been terrible experience trying to buy a bicycle.

Cyclesphere cycles has been the only lbs which has actually taken the time to setup a variety of bikes for me to ride...to see which one I like...that's why they will get the sale...and have a loyal customer....the sales pitch I got today about Scott and how great it is was just that....a sales pitched...wasted time as far as I am concerned...I still don't know what is so great about Scott products because I didn't get to ride one....I was told to come back when I can afford to buy the bike [emoji57] seems I will never get to experience it.

im selling my 2014 anthem advanced 27.5 in the classifieds... or are you specificly looking for the 29er? 

And  will fit a brand new drive train before sale.. 

...but as the fella selling the trek bikes indicated...if you fit suspension to a motor vehicle why would want to switch it off...

Because cars don't bob repeatedly when you press the accelerator and the wasted power used to compress the car's suspension doesn't come out of your legs.....

Btw....Anthem is a proven design.

Both are good.I have I friend who has both a scott 29 and an anthem 29.

As yet he likes both,interested to see which one he may end up preferring.

As for me I have the 27,5 scott 710.Yes it is more expensive.

The scott has been said to be a single pivot design.

I like single pivot designs.The single pivot design is made more efficient by the use of the lockout, and I think it is a feature which enables you to deciede what suspension you what, depending on the terrain.

If you have no desire to use this, I would not buy the bike.

Also another feature is the shock has a pivot which can be turned to make the bike slacker in the head angle if you want to tune it more to your needs.

The anthem suspension is so good it is more automated and once set you do nothing more.

I have a 2008 anthem I still ride.

I did try the 2014 27,5 anthem, and for some reason did did not have what I wanted,yet for me the scott 710 suited me.

On a recient long distance ride I have just done,the most selected bike was the tallboy.

Next was the scott 29,and the anthem 29.

There were no 27,5 bikes at all(my sample group may have been small, but its what I observed.)

The anthem is a very solid choice,and they are very light,once you have done an upgrade on the wheels.

I was looking for a 29er.

Unfortunately the salesman at the Scott shop told me to come back when I can afford a Scott and then I can test ride...I no longer have a desire to ride a bike I can't afford to test ride.

Buying an anthem also seems to be a good Investment considering people are still selling 2012 models for R14000...up until yesterday I was prepared to pay up to 20 k for an anthem 2015 second hand in mint condition...even more if it had Maverick wheels xt component upgrades etc etc.

The problem in KZN ...there is no bike shop which will give you a bike to test ride for the weekend or have the facilities to allow for test rides....so if you get to test ride it would be in a parking lot...so suspension lockout would be ideal [emoji57].....so most people buy a bike and don't have a clue what other bikes actually feels like to ride....so my question... is the Scott 940 worth R 9000 more than an anthem and why?

Another question ...backup service and warranty claims...do the brands backup their products?

I was looking for a 29er.

Unfortunately the salesman at the Scott shop told me to come back when I can afford a Scott and then I can test ride..

Okay. Firstly, that salesman is a cock. End of.

The giant platform is proven, efficient and most of all value for money.

Scott is a single pivot design that REQUIRES the lockout in order to be efficient on the climbs. Aka - Shiite.

Giant is a Dave Weagle design which is immensely efficient and is super compliant.

Buy the giant. You can NOT replicate the value that you get for the giant goods. It is just that good

The problem in KZN ...there is no bike shop which will give you a bike to test ride for the weekend or have the facilities to allow for test rides....so if you get to test ride it would be in a parking lot...so suspension lockout would be ideal [emoji57].....so most people buy a bike and don't have a clue what other bikes actually feels like to ride....so my question... is the Scott 940 worth R 9000 more than an anthem and why?

Another question ...backup service and warranty claims...do the brands backup their products?

No the scott is not worth more, probably less in my opinion from having ridden both and then chosen an anthem.

Archived