Spinning bike for training - opinions please.

Roadie_

Hi Folks

I'm looking to purchase a spinning bike for under R5k. I know indoor trainers are better, but I'm looking for something which can be used by all at home.

I've seen a few advertised at Game, Sportsman’s, Makro, 2nd hand on gumtree etc - but all seem to have obscure names - Trojan etc and I'm therefore unsure if there is 'support' if parts are needed if it breaks. And are these decent? I know I would never purchase a bike at Game, but unsure of quality of their spinning bikes.

Have any of you chaps got such bikes? Please post your opinions/reviews.

Thanks

Cheers.

I'm getting a new one next week too.... I can strongly recommend that you don't get a chain driven one if you're planning on spinning at night in front of the telly or at 4am in the morning. Hence the reason why I am getting a belt driven spinner.

I see you are W Cape based, if you want, you can test my old bike to see if you can live with the noise level.

Tom

+1 on the belt drive. I see Sportsman's Warehouse is selling "Headstart" brand spinning bikes, the top of the range ones are actually rebranded Hope Sports. Look for the one with the red flywheel with a big grey star pattern on it; it has 2 brake pads instead of the more traditional single-pad-on-top resistance adjuster, and is belt driven. I think they're going for around 5.5k now.

I'm getting a new one next week too.... I can strongly recommend that you don't get a chain driven one if you're planning on spinning at night in front of the telly or at 4am in the morning. Hence the reason why I am getting a belt driven spinner.

I see you are W Cape based, if you want, you can test my old bike to see if you can live with the noise level.

Tom

Thanks for input Tom. I'll steer clear of chains then - maybe pop into Makro over the week-end.

The weight of the flywheel is important, the heavier the better. Some of the game / makro ones are too light, around 14 kg. Should be 18 / 20. I have a light flywheel, 14 kg and not ideal. My son uses it to practice climbing in a big gear.

The weight of the flywheel is important, the heavier the better. Some of the game / makro ones are too light, around 14 kg. Should be 18 / 20. I have a light flywheel, 14 kg and not ideal. My son uses it to practice climbing in a big gear.

Thanks for that very useful tip - I see the Makro cheepie has only 13kg, but the R5k Trojan X450 has a 21kg wheel. Appreciated.

Edited by Roadie for now

Something else guys...is it worth buying 2nd hand or rather just spend a bit extra and get an out-the-box bike? What the lifespan of a spinning bike? Surely the belts wear out?

Something else guys...is it worth buying 2nd hand or rather just spend a bit extra and get an out-the-box bike? What the lifespan of a spinning bike? Surely the belts wear out?

Most get used as expensive clothes hangers only. Very few are actually ridden. The ability to freewheel is a real bonus.

I got a makro Trojan 400 with 21kg flywheel for the past 2 years, my wife and I use it and im very happy with it, it works really well and isn't noisy at all I put it in front of the tv at night and do my training while the family is sleeping, I prefer to use the spinning bike than put my bike on a trainer because of the wear and tear and noise. don't know if it is a belt or chain drive but hasn't given me any problems since new 

I got a makro Trojan 400 with 21kg flywheel for the past 2 years, my wife and I use it and im very happy with it, it works really well and isn't noisy at all I put it in front of the tv at night and do my training while the family is sleeping, I prefer to use the spinning bike than put my bike on a trainer because of the wear and tear and noise. don't know if it is a belt or chain drive but hasn't given me any problems since new 

I've got the same one, and also very happy. Was also not that expensive!

I have a Raleigh spinning bike which I bought second hand right here on thehub in 2011 for a mere R1400. I ride it a lot and it still works like a charm.

I have an IDT, rollers and the spinning bike and are still way more on the spinning bike than the other two.

I used to spin at Virgin Active as well, but stopped as soon as they got the new belt drive bikes. Contract cancelled. Personally, I hate it. It just feels so unnatural. Doesn't feel like riding a bike to me. It's a matter of preference though, so try before you buy. I found that the brake pads make a bigger noise than the actual drive system.

Good to know - great! Thanks.

I have a Raleigh spinning bike which I bought second hand right here on thehub in 2011 for a mere R1400. I ride it a lot and it still works like a charm.

I have an IDT, rollers and the spinning bike and are still way more on the spinning bike than the other two.

I used to spin at Virgin Active as well, but stopped as soon as they got the new belt drive bikes. Contract cancelled. Personally, I hate it. It just feels so unnatural. Doesn't feel like riding a bike to me. It's a matter of preference though, so try before you buy. I found that the brake pads make a bigger noise than the actual drive system.

Thanks Squier. I also prefer a spinning bike. Yip, bit unnatural, but easier to park in spot where it's ready. Looking for a quiet one, so it's seems that belt is best...hopefully smooth though. Will browse shops and online (2nd hand) over week-end.

Edited by Roadie for now

I've got the same one, and also very happy. Was also not that expensive!

ja I paid R3400 definitely worth the money, but I see many second hand ones from about R2000 which is much less than what I would have had to pay for replacing tyres if I put my bike on a trainer.