Where is FRAIL?

mrbaker

Looking back at "FRAIL" in the News.

City of Cape Town > English > Honouring the elderly

Honouring the elderly

https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/Pages/Honouringtheelderly.aspx

In a brave and triumphant bid to bring attention to the plight of the elderly, Cape Town resident David Kleynhans has cycled from Cape Town to Knysna and back again – despite suffering from a hereditary vein disorder.

Kleynhans, who has thrombosis, was welcomed by Councillor Grant Pascoe, Mayco member for Social Services (Disabled, Destitute, Gender & Social Upliftment) in central Cape Town at the end of his 52 hour journey. “We can all learn from David,” enthused Pascoe. “His drive, determination and enthusiasm are inspirational and his focus on the elderly serves to remind us that we as a city need to focus on people rather than things”

Each leg of Kleynhans’ journey took just over 24 hours to complete. Besides having no sleep, this self-sponsored crusader for elderly completed the entire ride wearing the compression stockings that are necessary to control his condition, and hasn’t suffered a single stiff muscle, although he “knows they’re coming” he said with a laugh.

“We have nothing but admiration for Kleynhans’ effort,” said Pascoe. “Many elderly people are marginalised from mainstream society, and their contribution to society is often unacknowledged. As the Provincial Government provides old age homes, the City uses its pensioner rates rebates and indigent policy to help the aged. In terms of the indigent policy, pensioners (and anyone else) earning less than R3000 per month can apply for a 100% rebate on their rates, while the rates rebate ceiling for pensioners has recently been increased by an extra R1000 per month, meaning that senior citizens aged 60 or above with a total household income of R8000 can apply for the rebate, no matter where they live.” The rebate is implemented on a sliding scale and has thus far benefitted more than 19 000 pensioners. Council recently approved a R37 million budget for this purpose, which should benefit more people in need.

The City also provides old age homes with facilities for cultural events whenever it can, at no cost. “We try to encourage the aged in our specially set up athletics events as well,” said Pascoe. In addition, funding is made available via ward allocations.

Kleynhans has pledged to continue contributing as well. “There are an estimated 500 old age homes in Cape Town,” he said. Although this particular trip was aimed at raising awareness and funds for two of them (Kendrick House, a home for the aged in Cape Town, and Vermont Old Age Home in Knysna), he said that he would repeat the trip for others in the future.

Martin Pollack

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any money at all

But if I could help him by maybe designing something for his new business, I would do it. Like business cards or stuff like that.

*EDIT*

Only now do I see when this thread was made.

Frail, food luck with the leg!

I don't have any money at all

But if I could help him by maybe designing something for his new business, I would do it. Like business cards or stuff like that.

*EDIT*

Only now do I see when this thread was made.

Frail, food luck with the leg!

Hello Bologniusmaximus

I do have a job once I'm fit, ready to go back to work.

Another 6 to 8 weeks Bed rest. Trying to keep oneself occupied by browsing The Hub, Reading and TV (sabc).

Thank You for your offer

David

Hello Bologniusmaximus

I do have a job once I'm fit, ready to go back to work.

Another 6 to 8 weeks Bed rest. Trying to keep oneself occupied by browsing The Hub, Reading and TV (sabc).

Thank You for your offer

David

Glad to hear bud!

• 1 year later...

I didnt recognize David when he joint our ride on Saturday! Thought, David sounds familiar and then we had to get home so I think he popped off the back. 

Great seeing the legend again and having coffee with the man.

I didnt recognize David when he joint our ride on Saturday! Thought, David sounds familiar and then we had to get home so I think he popped off the back. 

Great seeing the legend again and having coffee with the man.

Hello Brendan

My Legs popped around Westlake.

I carried on to Constacia Nek and then through Sea Point onto Plattekloof.

Thank You Guys for the Great company.

Cheers

Hello Brendan

My Legs popped around Westlake.

I carried on to Constacia Nek and then through Sea Point onto Plattekloof.

Thank You Guys for the Great company.

Cheers

Good to hear you are back on the bike Frail!

Good to hear you are back on the bike Frail!

Hello Bateleur1

Things have been Slow.

But I have Not been Idle.

I Lost some Weight and I Feel strong!

Thanks

Archived