Tour de France prize money

canadonis

Hi

This has to be the most exciting TdF in many years..nail biting finishes, great climbs, cobblestones etc.. what drama the scene set for the mountains in a few days.

I must admit I was horrified to see the TdF total price money is just over €26000 and the winner gets €8000, the 20th placed person get €200. Wtf. With the cost of the equipment and the exposure of the big brands why doesn't the sponsors offer these young riders more for their efforts. It's 21 days of extreme riding that requires many months of preparation for literally peanuts compared to other sporting codes. These are the best cyclists in the world.

To put the monies in perpective a person who gets knocked out of the singles first round of Wimbledon will receive £29000 which is more than the total TdF prize money, the winner of Wimbledon will receive £1.88 million the runner up £950k.

Cycling is the fastest growing sports on the planet, the equipment costs a fortune, why doesn't the prize money reflect this success, where is the profits from hosting the TdF it's clearly not in the prize money.

Hi

This has to be the most exciting TdF in many years..nail biting finishes, great climbs, cobblestones etc.. what drama the scene set for the mountains in a few days.

I must admit I was horrified to see the TdF total price money is just over €26000 and the winner gets €8000, the 20th placed person get €200. Wtf. With ... the exposure of the big brands why doesn't the sponsors offer these young riders more for their efforts. 

This sums it up - the big brands get unparalleled exposure, and the riders get paid indirectly through that (ie the teams that hire them). TdF is not about prize money (but if you do well, you can be sure your team will reward you) 

Cyclists are contracted at that level and paid accordingly. Add sponsorship deals and the top chaps earn well. Tennis players earn a living by winning. Non the less the prize money needs to be increased ten fold.

Hi

I must admit I was horrified to see the TdF total price money is just over €26000 and the winner gets €8000, the 20th placed person get €200. Wtf. With the cost of the equipment and the exposure of the big brands why doesn't the sponsors offer these young riders more for their efforts. It's 21 days of extreme riding that requires many months of preparation for literally peanuts compared to other sporting codes. These are the best cyclists in the world.

To put the monies in perpective a person who gets knocked out of the singles first round of Wimbledon will receive £29000 which is more than the total TdF prize money, the winner of Wimbledon will receive £1.88 million the runner up £950k.

Cycling is the fastest growing sports on the planet, the equipment costs a fortune, why doesn't the prize money reflect this success, where is the profits from hosting the TdF it's clearly not in the prize money.

That's per stage, there's 21 stages.

The overall GC winner will get R 6 251 736.59 (€450k)

I was also going to say the same, traditionally the winner takes non of his winnings and gives it to the team, the make 10x that in endorsements and sponsorship the year after their win

....and then usually becomes the discussion of a tax evasion law suit some years later.

Tour de France prize money awarded before the first rest day:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/a8a43c5dfc4a726a9705f9064b569e40/tumblr_nre46sgimv1ropreyo1_500.png

Archived