Seat Post Creak

Belgarath

Morning all

I have a REALLY ANNOYING creak caused by my seat stem. I had the LBS look at it, and his solution was to grease the stem. This eliminated the noise, but I end up having to readjust the height every 4km or so. So I cleaned the stem to rid the grease, which means the seat stays, but it is making an awful racket. Buddy has the same bike with the same problem, and another LBS had the same solution, and his seat doesn't stay on the same height either.

Any product that I could use that anyone know of, or another solution? Or maybe I should leave it, and then don't need a bell 'cause everybody can hear me coming anyway?

I had the same issue. Just used normal grease and it worked like a charm.

As for the seat dropping issue... I bought a cheapo seat post clamp that just just fits on to the seat post and tightened it so it stops the seat right where it needs to be and then just greased from there down. (also make life easier if you don't have a bike rack and transport the bike in your boot). So I just drop the post in and tighten.

No problem using the carbon paste on alloy post and frame. This should sort the creak and slipping problem  :thumbup:

Have you cleaned the inside of the frame properly?

The carbon paste just increases the friction between the seatpost and frame but should not be necessary if your seatpost clamp offers enough clamping force.

Before you try carbon paste, clean the inside of the frame. apply a small amount of normal grease to the frame. Make sure you do not grease close to the seatpost clamp area. Take off the seatpost clamp and clean around the frame and the clamp itself and re-assemble. It might just be some dirt causing the creak. Also check that your clamps that hold the seat to the seatpost is clean.

The problem with any grease and carbon paste is that if dirt do find it's way in, it's a bugger to clean and that can cause even more noises.

I've greased my alu seatpost and used a torque wrench to set it to max tightness.

Previously I thought I tightened it well, but it slid down during a ride, but the torque wrench makes all the difference here.

It's also a VERY light coat of grease ...

The problem with any grease and carbon paste is that if dirt do find it's way in, it's a bugger to clean and that can cause even more noises.

im with hennie if theres dirt inside the seat tube or the clamp all the grease in the world wont stop a creak

Archived