USN Cup # 5 Stoke City

Cas_1

Are you talking about the 30km or the 50km? Because the A batch for 50km started about 1 minute late and the B batch pretty much exactly 5 min after that.

Definitely agree that the race was not very well thought out. Combining the 50km and 30km route that early was not very clever.

+1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few kids (teacher) that were in the leading group of the 30km, and they got lost. I was in B batch, and at some point some guy jumped in front of us saying we needed to go down to the river along the fence line (which they said at the start, but there wasn't adequate markings). The one kid only added 2km to his race, but coming in 11th after he was looking to win it wasn't good. The other ended up doing 47km.

What peeves me is when you approach a bottle neck, and some people that were behind you get off the marked trail and go push in some place further up the line. Also, at the big drop off at the quarry I lost a little personality with one oke. I was approaching a little slower to give the guy in front of me time to get down (don't want to barrell into him doing 40km/h if he crashed somewhere going down or at the bottom), and this oke pushed in just before I was dipping over. Screwed my line, did some sphincter saddle munching. But that's not route related, just ahole rider. Caught him on the climb anyway, didn't see him again.

I wasn't happy with the freshly cut grass "trail" in some places, it makes for very rough riding. I broke a spoke, and couldn't feel my hands after about 10km, but whatever. Using parts of the Barn is okay with me, I love riding there, but maybe just use different parts?

Started the 50km in B Batch, also took the wrong route at the bridge (which was apparently explained to the first batch), but that I can only blame myself for! 

Ended up doing 55km instead of 47km, but still had a good day out.

Also a bit frustrated with the lack of skills or etiquette by some riders.

Are you talking about the 30km or the 50km? Because the A batch for 50km started about 1 minute late and the B batch pretty much exactly 5 min after that.

Definitely agree that the race was not very well thought out. Combining the 50km and 30km route that early was not very clever.

I am talking about the 30km batches. Sorry, forgot to mention that in my original post.

And I agree fully about the routes combining! But it was worse that you think. The 10, 30 and 50 ALL combined towards the end creating havoc on trail. A friend of mine was riding the 10km with our one buddies daughter who is 9. The 50km race guys, and I mean the top race guys, came flying past them scaring the CR@P out of her leaving her in tears and wanting to quit the race (the 9 year old that is). It was unsafe for the kids and riders doing the 10.

Clearly USN has become all about the money... lets hope the poor turn out wakes them up!

My wife and daughter were caught out by the early 30 Km starts and they were already 10 minutes early and ended up behind the 10 km traffic.

Can you imagine the chaos if the race was fully subscribed ?

They need to take a look at the Nissan Trailseeker start procedures and if there is a concern about two way traffic (which were probably due to bad route design) then fix the route instead of breaking the start.

I have a few kids (teacher) that were in the leading group of the 30km, and they got lost. I was in B batch, and at some point some guy jumped in front of us saying we needed to go down to the river along the fence line (which they said at the start, but there wasn't adequate markings). The one kid only added 2km to his race, but coming in 11th after he was looking to win it wasn't good. The other ended up doing 47km.

What peeves me is when you approach a bottle neck, and some people that were behind you get off the marked trail and go push in some place further up the line. Also, at the big drop off at the quarry I lost a little personality with one oke. I was approaching a little slower to give the guy in front of me time to get down (don't want to barrell into him doing 40km/h if he crashed somewhere going down or at the bottom), and this oke pushed in just before I was dipping over. Screwed my line, did some sphincter saddle munching. But that's not route related, just ahole rider. Caught him on the climb anyway, didn't see him again.

I wasn't happy with the freshly cut grass "trail" in some places, it makes for very rough riding. I broke a spoke, and couldn't feel my hands after about 10km, but whatever. Using parts of the Barn is okay with me, I love riding there, but maybe just use different parts?

With you 150% on this. Wait in line like everyone else and don't PURPOSELY do stupid sh!t that endangers others on the trails!

Just before the big drop off on the BRB trails there is a small steep planky climb that guys were walking, myself and a bunch of riders behind me decided to give a safe gap and ride it(which is far easier) so we all waited our turn and rode it. But as I pull away some old fart comes pushing his bike past us all on my left and tries to shove into the trail and walk the thing in front of me, zero respect, zero patience. This moron walked right in front  of a rapidly accelerating MTB! I barely missed him with my bike but feel I scored a few well placed hits with curses that I am sure he heard and I am pretty sure the guys behind me were swearing him too!

Wait your turn, we are all racing for our reasons and dont need some tw@t ruining our times and fun. It's basic respect.

TBH, I don't think USN puts much thought into these races at all. It's clear from the lack of any sort of race pack, expensive entries, bad route choices, etc. Even the guys manning the USN table at Epic Cycles looked like they'd much rather be sleeping. It's a quick buck for them and that's about it. The Nissan Trailseeker races are a million times better.

Guest notmyname

TBH, I don't think USN puts much thought into these races at all. It's clear from the lack of any sort of race pack, expensive entries, bad route choices, etc. Even the guys manning the USN table at Epic Cycles looked like they'd much rather be sleeping. It's a quick buck for them and that's about it. The Nissan Trailseeker races are a million times better.

I've only done a handful of the USN events but I tend to agree. The Nissan events are very well organised. Even the usn goodies and water tables are great. The lionman water points were the shït. Plenty food and drinks, lekker staff manning the tables.

And Trailseeker costs pretty much the same!!!! Oddly enough, the guys at the tables for USN are the same guys who man the tables at the Trailseeker collections... same company by the look of it

And Trailseeker costs pretty much the same!!!! Oddly enough, the guys at the tables for USN are the same guys who man the tables at the Trailseeker collections... same company by the look of it

I'm actually referring to the guys manning the USN product table. They were to the right of the stairs as you came up. The guys and girls at the number collection are great, same as with the Nissan Trailseeker.

This was my first ride back after a few months off the bike, had a stupid fall at the big dropoff...video to follow once my gopro software starts to work...

Have to agree with the less skilled riders moving out of the way, after i fell i was not in the greatest shape and simply moved aside when a faster rider came through.

With regards the 30km guys...what a bunch of (insert your chosen description here)...going through a downhill section through the berms, i had one of the youngsters(in USN kit) screaming track at me....insanely stupid...

Otherwise a good day out...hopefully my bruised ego and leg will recover quickly

I'm actually referring to the guys manning the USN product table. They were to the right of the stairs as you came up. The guys and girls at the number collection are great, same as with the Nissan Trailseeker.

THOSE WERE GUYS???? at the USN table? Are you sure??? I only saw Zombie looking scary things manning that table... about as friendly and enthusiastic as a plank. Hehehe

But agreed, the number collection girls do rock! Never had issues with them

This was my first ride back after a few months off the bike, had a stupid fall at the big dropoff...video to follow once my gopro software starts to work...

Have to agree with the less skilled riders moving out of the way, after i fell i was not in the greatest shape and simply moved aside when a faster rider came through.

With regards the 30km guys...what a bunch of (insert your chosen description here)...going through a downhill section through the berms, i had one of the youngsters(in USN kit) screaming track at me....insanely stupid...

Otherwise a good day out...hopefully my bruised ego and leg will recover quickly

Hey, I was in the 30km batches and the same issues with morons screaming track where there was zero place to go... I will not move unless it is safe and I do not expect any rider to move if they dont feel safe! I only endanger myself when overtaking and try get as much clearance as possible between myself and the other rider

Sorry to hear about the crash. But please don't make us wait too long for the video :)

I was doing the 50km and was part of the briefing for the A-batch and even then it was incorrectly given saying keep right at the bridge at Redbarn and come back on the right side. Then when coming back we didn't cross the bridge again confusing a lot of guys??? Then to make it worse the brought the 30km and 50km together and when you are competitive its quite frustrating siting behind someone doing it for the fun of it.

However considering these issues I still enjoyed it.

My hubby and I did the USN race at red barn a few months? ago. Was alright to be fair but must say you can't help but notice the bare minimal effort that goes into their races. Water points have nothing to eat and nothing exciting in the way of hydration. We also had lighties shouting us to track...on singletrack. We were not amused after we had ridden almost double their distance already.

Unfortunately for them (fortunately for us), there are way too many other great MTB races we'll enter before considering theirs with organizers who actually care about your overall enjoyment.

Come to the party guys, I'm not driving to registration for an envelope of cable ties again. 

My hubby and I did the USN race at red barn a few months? ago. Was alright to be fair but must say you can't help but notice the bare minimal effort that goes into their races. Water points have nothing to eat and nothing exciting in the way of hydration. We also had lighties shouting us to track...on singletrack. We were not amused after we had ridden almost double their distance already.

Unfortunately for them (fortunately for us), there are way too many other great MTB races we'll enter before considering theirs with organizers who actually care about your overall enjoyment.

Come to the party guys, I'm not driving to registration for an envelope of cable ties again. 

Cable ties and (if you lucky) you get some energy gel tubes from Zombie Joe and Co. at the USN table....just careful coz they expired before the actual race (bb date: 07/2015)(I know its just a day but I am kinda offended that we who pay for this race are treated as a dumping ground for their old stock.)