Switching to compact crank

PPWTF

If one could get a compact with a 53 and 34 .... Speed and Power

Thumbs%20Up - would be cool but I guess the shifting up and down would be problematic .....

I dont understand what the fuss about compact is! it ONLY gives you an advantage on REAL steep climbs like 15% +..the other reason I can think of going compact is that you can't really climb...Like Marco pantani said :"a true climber never neads a gear bigger than a 23".. So a true climber never neads a compact crank. In SA racing I cant imagine were you actually would use a compact?

Thanks for the quick reply, had a feeling I was being had on buy a sales person when I was told (with air being sucked through teeth) You can't run 9 with a 10 speed crank, mixed just won't work...

The the pitch rolled in...... "you'll need a complete new chainset.......!"

Now that I know it'll work just fine, I'm on the look out for a second hand 170mm compact....

PPWTF2008-04-08 04:21:41

I dont understand what the fuss about compact is! it ONLY gives you an advantage on REAL steep climbs like 15% +..the other reason I can think of going compact is that you can't really climb...Like Marco pantani said :"a true climber never neads a gear bigger than a 23".. So a true climber never neads a compact crank. In SA racing I cant imagine were you actually would use a compact?

I can and do use it. Makes life a pleasure really, spinning up hills where i would normally take strain. We're not all racing stallions, some of us are cart horses that need all the help we can get.

Like Marco pantani said :"a true climber never neads a gear bigger than a 23".. So a true climber never neads a compact crank. In SA racing I cant imagine were you actually would use a compact?

Guess what, real men don't use drugs either.

Thanks for the quick reply' date=' had a feeling I was being had on buy a sales person when I was told (with air being sucked through teeth) You can't run 9 with a 10 speed crank, mixed just won't work...

The the pitch rolled in...... "you'll need a complete new chainset.......!"

Now that I know it'll work just fine, I'm on the look out for a second hand 170mm compact....

[/quote'] If you are a good climber with your 53/39 you can also get a compact in 50/36 instead of 50/34, I did this when I got my FSA Slk compact and I kept my 11/23 cassette, closer ratios make for better shifing, the 36 gives me extra power on climbs and not to much lost in top end speed with the 50 if you arn't a big TT type riderLOLLOL