Handbuilt wheels

Fernando

Hi guys. Are hand built wheels significantly better than the big manufacturers wheels like Easton or mavic. Where's the best place in Cape Town to have wheels built?

Hi guys. Are hand built wheels significantly better than the big manufacturers wheels like Easton or mavic. Where's the best place in Cape Town to have wheels built?

A good handbuilt wheelset is 10000 x better than any factory wheelset!

In cape town - Action Cycling in Loop Street, Lance @ Epic Bike Shop above Suzuki South in Wynberg, William at William's Bike Shop in Somerset West. 

Any idea what these cost? I'm looking for something to train on and the very odd race. Something like the Easton ea70s or so.

Handbuilt wheels built by the right person are the only way to go.

What I like is that you can customize what you want.

I am a fan of the "old" cone and cup type hub. Something like Ultegra or Dura-Ace.

A nice good quality double butted spoke, DT Swiss, Sapim, WheelSmith.

And a good strong rim, Mavic Open Pro.

Depending on your weight and how aggressive you ride either 32 or 36 hole.

I like 36 hole specially on training wheels as they are able to withstand most abuse and last longer.

I weigh 75kgs. 

Handbuilt wheels built by the right person are the only way to go.

What I like is that you can customize what you want.

I am a fan of the "old" cone and cup type hub. Something like Ultegra or Dura-Ace.

A nice good quality double butted spoke, DT Swiss, Sapim, WheelSmith.

And a good strong rim, Mavic Open Pro.

Depending on your weight and how aggressive you ride either 32 or 36 hole.

I like 36 hole specially on training wheels as they are able to withstand most abuse and last longer.

I weigh 75kgs. If I were to have wheels built like you described above, with ultegra hubs, what sought of cost would it be?

You get great factory built wheels – often finished by hand- and some pretty ordinary ones. Same goes for hand built. The advantage of hand built over factory built – especially in the entry to mid level range - is that a good builder can counter spoke wind up at higher tensions and stress relieve the spokes leading to a more durable wheel. In my view one of the drawbacks in top end factory wheels is that often patented parts and patterns are used which make any repairs difficult and expensive. Also the “marketers” have their say and designs are created for looks at the expense of functionality.  If you have your heart set on a certain factory wheelset then buy it because a hand built set will not look the same, or if it does look the same it will cost more.  If you are looking for a good, functional and durable wheelset then hand built is the way to go.

You can expect to pay around R350-600 per wheel for labour, between R10-20 per spoke and then the rim and hub. Rims run between R500 and R1200 and hubs between R1500 and R5000 per set.

I'm in Joburg, but happy to discuss specific options if you like.

I weigh 75kgs. 

I weigh 75kgs. If I were to have wheels built like you described above, with ultegra hubs, what sought of cost would it be?

Wheel builders will charge a labour rate for the build.  I charge R350-00 for a standard wheel.  Spokes and nipples will run at R15 to R20 ea depending on choice.  Rims and hubs you can work at on line store prices.  

I weigh 75kgs. 

You pretty light so a wheel like the EA70 will work well.

As David Marshall said, be careful of "proprietary" parts.

Speaking for myself I like a normal "J" bend spoke, easy to come by if you have a broken spoke and my be out of town. Likewise with hubs, I personally prefer standard parts as spares are easy to come by.

You can expect to pay around R350-600 per wheel for labour, between R10-20 per spoke and then the rim and hub. Rims run between R500 and R1200 and hubs between R1500 and R5000 per set.

I'm in Joburg, but happy to discuss specific options if you like.

I recently looked at getting a wheelset buils up but was way to expensive for me: Starting at R10000.

I eventually just bought some spokes, nipples and a lower end hub (xt), I say lower end as most hubs today can start at R1500 which have sealed bearings wheres as the xt has cup and cone which takes some maintenance but still a great hub, took all that stuff to lbs and had it built up.

Kept the same rim as it was perfect anf now it rolls great.

No idea why my reply didn't add. But Wheel Builder I'm looking for something light and most importantly fast. Any idea on what sought of options you may have? I know that's very vague.

My personal recommendation would be some solid hubs - like Hope that use normal j-bend spokes and good quality, standard size sealed cartridge bearings. Lace these to some Mavic Open Pro rims with double butted spokes.

This should come in at between R6,5-7k and be light, strong and reliable. This should approximate to 1600-1750g per set excl cassette, tyres and tubes.

In contrast, an Ultegra hubset off CRC is around R2k (vs a Hope set at almost R4k) and uses cup'n cone bearings which work perfectly but are more sensitive to regular maintenance. If you neglect them a bit it can cause permanent damage.

Archived