Junior road racing in SA

MrDLR

I'm sorry that it took so long to write my sa's report report but it was a very busy week trying to catch up on my school work. The TT was held on a very hard course climbing for the first +-11km before going into a flat down hill section for +-7km with a hard 1,5km climb that toped out with about 800m to go. I started quite well but the last climb really hurt. Greg de vink won ahead of Jason oosthuizen and Enno swanepoel my team mate got third while I finished 4th with a time of 36:02min that gave me an average speed on my Garmin of 41km/h my cadence was 96rpm.

Next up was the RR 7 laps of around 17km each. Our teams plan was to keep the racing positive and to put the pressure on the other teams. On the first lap we managed to get two of our riders Louis Marais and Eckard Binding in a break during the same lap the break split with Eckard in the front split with Louis visser and Ryan Harris. With our Louis still in the second group. There were a few attacks going up the climb to the start/finnish and I put in a counter attack and managed to cross over to the second group who's gap had started coming down. Unfortunately the bunch caught us just before we started the third lap. The courant riders were forced to chase as they were the only other strong team. Our plan then went a bit haywire as Eckard couldn't hold the breaks pace once he was back in the bunch we were forced to start chasing alone as the courant riders were tired from chasing in the previous laps and no-one else was willing to help. I wasn't going to let our team settle for racing for third so me and Enno did most of the chasing. We only caught the last rider from the break with just over a lap to go after that the pace dropped and I went to the front to make sure no breaks went away and also because no one wanted to work so the pace was very slow. I tried atacking through the turns to get away but couldn't get away, on the last climb when Devin short atacked I was sitting behind the sprinters as I was expecting a bunch sprint but that wasn't the smartest thing to do as they couldn't follow the accelerations. But our team managed to get a Second place with Enno swanepoel behind Devin short who won and Damian oosthuizen got third and I managed 6th

Time 3:10:57

Distance 111km

Avg speed 35.08km/h

Normalized power 274 watts

Avg cadence 91

Ascent 1708m

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry that it took so long to write my sa's report report but it was a very busy week trying to catch up on my school work. The TT was held on a very hard course climbing for the first +-11km before going into a flat down hill section for +-7km with a hard 1,5km climb that toped out with about 800m to go. I started quite well but the last climb really hurt. Greg de vink won ahead of Jason oosthuizen and Enno swanepoel my team mate got third while I finished 4th with a time of 36:02min that gave me an average speed on my Garmin of 41km/h my cadence was 96rpm.

Next up was the RR 7 laps of around 17km each. Our teams plan was to keep the racing positive and to put the pressure on the other teams. On the first lap we managed to get two of our riders Louis Marais and Eckard Binding in a break during the same lap the break split with Eckard in the front split with Louis visser and Ryan Harris. With our Louis still in the second group. There were a few attacks going up the climb to the start/finnish and I put in a counter attack and managed to cross over to the second group who's gap had started coming down. Unfortunately the bunch caught us just before we started the third lap. The courant riders were forced to chase as they were the only other strong team. Our plan then went a bit haywire as Eckard couldn't hold the breaks pace once he was back in the bunch we were forced to start chasing alone as the courant riders were tired from chasing in the previous laps and no-one else was willing to help. I wasn't going to let our team settle for racing for third so me and Enno did most of the chasing. We only caught the last rider from the break with just over a lap to go after that the pace dropped and I went to the front to make sure no breaks went away and also because no one wanted to work so the pace was very slow. I tried atacking through the turns to get away but couldn't get away, on the last climb when Devin short atacked I was sitting behind the sprinters as I was expecting a bunch sprint but that wasn't the smartest thing to do as they couldn't follow the accelerations. But our team managed to get a Second place with Enno swanepoel behind Devin short who won and Damian oosthuizen got third and I managed 6th

Distance 111km

Avg speed 35.08km/h

Avg cadence 91

Ascent 1708m

Good positive racing. One thing you forgot was the temperature 38°C and the tail wind up the climb that made it like an oven.

I don't think I have ever been that hot in a race before.

Devin Shortt - 2 years in a row u16 champ and now Junior champ - Greg de Vink 2 years in a row junior TT champ - following in the footsteps of Stefan de Bod - it looks like western province cycling is a fertile breeding ground for road cyclists.

They are good riders but we are actually a very strong group of juniors who are all on quite a high level which leads to everyone working harder and further raising the level for example at the SA's there were at least 8 riders that had the ability to win and that is what is important to me not if one province's riders are better than anothers but the riders from the Cape are good.

They are good riders but we are actually a very strong group of juniors who are all on quite a high level which leads to everyone working harder and further raising the level for example at the SA's there were at least 8 riders that had the ability to win and that is what is important to me not if one province's riders are better than anothers but the riders from the Cape are good.

agree , bigger pond to choose from - please chat to your mates and approach your prov road commissioner to be included in the CSA HP Squad for o/seas racing  or request to be included in long/short list for a year at the UCI School in Swiss.  bug him until they start working for you because that is their mandate ie to identify talent.

Hi Gerald yes I raced yesterday but unfortunately got caught out on the wrong side of a split. Thanks Andy I'll look in to it and there are quite a few other riders that can use a bit more support from csa especially with the current exchange rate it makes it a lot more expensive to go to Europe with out support.

agree , bigger pond to choose from - please chat to your mates and approach your prov road commissioner to be included in the CSA HP Squad for o/seas racing or request to be included in long/short list for a year at the UCI School in Swiss. bug him until they start working for you because that is their mandate ie to identify talent.

Hi Gerald yes I raced yesterday but unfortunately got caught out on the wrong side of a split. Thanks Andy I'll look in to it and there are quite a few other riders that can use a bit more support from csa especially with the current exchange rate it makes it a lot more expensive to go to Europe with out support.

Do you know who you regional road commissioner is MrDLR?

Depending on where you live in Gauteng province, there will be a different road comm.

I'm not exactly sure but my mom went to a development meeting today and I asked her if she can get more information about the HP structure. I fall under gauteng north.

Distance 111km

Avg speed 35.08km/h

Avg cadence 91

Ascent 1708m

I'm sorry that it took so long to write my sa's report report but it was a very busy week trying to catch up on my school work. The TT was held on a very hard course climbing for the first +-11km before going into a flat down hill section for +-7km with a hard 1,5km climb that toped out with about 800m to go. I started quite well but the last climb really hurt. Greg de vink won ahead of Jason oosthuizen and Enno swanepoel my team mate got third while I finished 4th with a time of 36:02min that gave me an average speed on my Garmin of 41km/h my cadence was 96rpm.Next up was the RR 7 laps of around 17km each. Our teams plan was to keep the racing positive and to put the pressure on the other teams. On the first lap we managed to get two of our riders Louis Marais and Eckard Binding in a break during the same lap the break split with Eckard in the front split with Louis visser and Ryan Harris. With our Louis still in the second group. There were a few attacks going up the climb to the start/finnish and I put in a counter attack and managed to cross over to the second group who's gap had started coming down. Unfortunately the bunch caught us just before we started the third lap. The courant riders were forced to chase as they were the only other strong team. Our plan then went a bit haywire as Eckard couldn't hold the breaks pace once he was back in the bunch we were forced to start chasing alone as the courant riders were tired from chasing in the previous laps and no-one else was willing to help. I wasn't going to let our team settle for racing for third so me and Enno did most of the chasing. We only caught the last rider from the break with just over a lap to go after that the pace dropped and I went to the front to make sure no breaks went away and also because no one wanted to work so the pace was very slow. I tried atacking through the turns to get away but couldn't get away, on the last climb when Devin short atacked I was sitting behind the sprinters as I was expecting a bunch sprint but that wasn't the smartest thing to do as they couldn't follow the accelerations. But our team managed to get a Second place with Enno swanepoel behind Devin short who won and Damian oosthuizen got third and I managed 6th Time 3:10:57Distance 111kmAvg speed 35.08km/hNormalized power 274 wattsAvg cadence 91Ascent 1708m

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of reporting, I have been busy preparing for the track SA's which finished today. The SA's went quite well for me and I managed to win the points race, the rest of the racing was nice hard racing and the overall standard has went up which is always good. The best news for me was that I have been chosen as part of the SA team to go to the junior world track Championships which will be held from 20-24 jully in Switzerland. I just want to thank you all for the support. Next up for me is emperors palace and then the mayoral race in polokwane before my full on preparation starts. For a full list of all the riders that were selected and all the results of the SA champs can be found on the CSA website under the track cycling section

Guest notmyname

Sorry for the lack of reporting, I have been busy preparing for the track SA's which finished today. The SA's went quite well for me and I managed to win the points race, the rest of the racing was nice hard racing and the overall standard has went up which is always good. The best news for me was that I have been chosen as part of the SA team to go to the junior world track Championships which will be held from 20-24 jully in Switzerland. I just want to thank you all for the support. Next up for me is emperors palace and then the mayoral race in polokwane before my full on preparation starts. For a full list of all the riders that were selected and all the results of the SA champs can be found on the CSA website under the track cycling section

Congats man.

Archived