Ironman 70.3 East London 2016

fanievb

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we've had an easterly blowing for some time now, which makes the water cold, as soon as the wind turns west the temp will start increasing.

Christmas and New Years day the temp was 13deg.

the current forecast is for the East to continue, so lets hope it changes west as this means,

1. a relatively flat swim

2. an easier cycle (tailwind coming back)

Thanks for the info. 

Do you know where to get some reliable water temp. readings then? SA weather service doesn't seem to be much help.

Thanks for the info. 

Do you know where to get some reliable water temp. readings then? SA weather service doesn't seem to be much help.

sorry no idea.

<ping> Rocket-Boy

Wasnt it a wetsuit compulsory swim last year as well? Think the Temp was 15 or 16 deg?

I know they spoke about it in the athlete briefing

SO my bike transport (from Jhb) just fell through. If anyone has a spot or knows of, please send me a message, obviously willing to provide compensation. Tnx

Try Focus on the Finish Line.

SO my bike transport (from Jhb) just fell through. If anyone has a spot or knows of, please send me a message, obviously willing to provide compensation. Tnx

Try Focus on the Finish Line.

Tx, will do. Hopefully I'll find a more "student friendly" solution by weekend haha. 

we've had an easterly blowing for some time now, which makes the water cold, as soon as the wind turns west the temp will start increasing.

Christmas and New Years day the temp was 13deg.

the current forecast is for the East to continue, so lets hope it changes west as this means,

1. a relatively flat swim

2. an easier cycle (tailwind coming back)

I took a walk along Nahoon beach today and man is that water cold at the moment!

A day or two of west though and it will warm up quickly.

Thanks for the info. 

Everything I have looked at points to it being around 20deg but I can tell you from going ankle deep into it today that its closer to 16-17deg.

It can change very quickly though and looks like there will be a bit of westerly finding its way in, this warms up the temp and smoothes out the swell periods, both good things.

I have done a ton of tri's at the swim location, some in freezing cold water and some where its been very warm, the cold ones are better for performance.

Just keep your head about you when you first dive in and the shock of that water hits, stick to swimming rhythm until you warm up a little because it can really take your breath away! 

Wasnt it a wetsuit compulsory swim last year as well? Think the Temp was 15 or 16 deg?

I know they spoke about it in the athlete briefing

In all honesty unless you are an old hand at openwater swimming and have very strong technique then swimming in a wetsuit is a better bet. 

I took a walk along Nahoon beach today and man is that water cold at the moment!

A day or two of west though and it will warm up quickly.

Yip that sea swim yesterday was cold. Warmed up a bit further out with the odd cold patch here and there.

Right so this morning I managed to find time to do my first swim in my wetsuit! (I know it's leaving it a bit late but with training for this, training for Midmar 8 Miles, being a mom and work ????)

Well I did it and man it's just so much easier with one of these on

Granted the water wasn't close to 20 degrees or less but bouyancy is unbelievable.

Oh and you look 10kgs lighter

I might walk around in a wetsuit from now on ????

Right so this morning I managed to find time to do my first swim in my wetsuit! (I know it's leaving it a bit late but with training for this, training for Midmar 8 Miles, being a mom and work )

Granted the water wasn't close to 20 degrees or less but bouyancy is unbelievable.

I might walk around in a wetsuit from now on

just remember some chafing cream for your neck. I learned the hard way after my first wetsuit swim. The back of my neck was bleeding due to chafing (granted I did not wear the suit correctly, with all the velcro in the right places).

You will be even more buoyant in salt water.

Plus all that extra oxygen they have at the coast.

Right so this morning I managed to find time to do my first swim in my wetsuit! (I know it's leaving it a bit late but with training for this, training for Midmar 8 Miles, being a mom and work )

I might walk around in a wetsuit from now on

Went for a walk again yesterday morning and the sea temp on the board was 11deg and after getting my feet in the sea I could well believe it!

Weather forecast says at least two more days of east wind which means it isnt going to warm up soon.

Archived