Sandton EcoMobility Festival: October

ByronH

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cycle lane next to Mushroom Park is a winner! Everything a bike lane should be: wide enough for pedestrians too, with a curb so taxis can't ride there, and continuous.

Sandton in West Street was a mess to negotiate with a bicycle. The bicycle lane randomly stops and continue a bit further, with vehicles and trucks parked all over the bicycle lane. The left lane was closed for traffic - so if you are in West on your bike, trying to cross Fredman going towards Grayston - there's just no traffic light cycle combo that allows that for a bike going straight over from the cycle-lane side.

Randburg was an absolute pleasure - streets were deserted. Where were all the cars? Still stuck in Sandton?

West Street cycle lane a nightmare .... pedestrians all over...cars not knowing what to do. ...

It was however great to see so many new commuters .... guys and gals ....keep it up ...

Did my first commute in a very long time today. Down Fredman in the bus lane (did not see any buses), and then on West toward Benmore. Traffic actually seemed fine today (maybe it was just because of school holidays).

Now for 3 more one-way trips this week!

Hey, I cycled in for the first time today.

Took me 20min each way (quicker than with my car in normal traffic).

Was really great being out on the road.

My only concern is that I ride in from Bryanston, near Main Rd/ Peter Place and I literally don't get to experience any of the cycle lanes!

https://www.strava.com/activities/406655434

William Nicol is crazy, especially the part just before the PnP approaching Sandton. The road is very narrow with no emergency lane/ cycle lane.

Is anyone cycling in from Bryanston? Am I missing something here?

Considering taking my Mtb so that I can ride on the dirt track next to William Nicol.

Is anyone cycling in from Bryanston? Am I missing something here?

Considering taking my Mtb so that I can ride on the dirt track next to William Nicol.

William Nicol is crazy dangerous. I only join at Republic - but stay on the pavement where I can.

Disruption seems minimal at the moment, for me anyway. Coming from Pretoria commuting is not really an option (would be cool to do 100km a day commute :P but it may just take a tad long) so I took the train yesterday to check things out for the first day. Today I drove in again. We're in Rivonia road right on the edge of the festival so traffic was fine. Coming and going from the N1 was as usual. I prefer to drive into Sandton as it is just so much faster and cheaper than taking the train. Nice to have the option though.

Taxis speeding on 11th in Benmore this morning made my normal commuting route a bit dangerous ths morning. Will have to change the morning-route.

Ecomobility website has some suggested routes: http://citizen.co.za/781130/test-ecomobility/

among others, I found this:

Join the route outside the parkade on William Nicol; turn left into Mattie Avenue; right into 14th Street; right onto Marie Avenue; left onto 12th Street, right onto 11th Street; left into Elizabeth Avenue;  through the Benmore Shopping Centre; turn right onto West St.

So this morning I investigated the 'through benmore shopping centre' - but there's no way to get from 11th avenue side to the West street side - except if you go straight through the shopping centre. 

Would be great if the pedestrian gate on the West street side could be unlocked - then one could miss a bit of the pedestrian and taxi traffic on the pavement in Grayston just before West.

If you are on a mountain bike, William Nicol is a breeze ...

from republic .. at the robot just before william nicole while still on republic cut a right at left ... and head down the pavement ...

follow it to william nicol .. you will be rewarded with some nice single and jeep  track after that...

....then follow the jeep track all the way to the garage and then use the pavement to get to the robot at sandton drive ...

cross over and head up sandton drive on the opposite side of the road on the pavement ...

soon you will be rewarded with your own road (service road) which is hardly used ...

Cycle nicely up that steep hill at Sandton drive .. and you can be the USA embassy in no time ...

William Nicol is crazy dangerous. I only join at Republic - but stay on the pavement where I can.

Hi cat,

Yeah today I opted to leave a little later (6:30am) so the cats were almost at a stand still. I also rose my roadie on the pavement and a little bit on the firm dirt where I could.

I did tweet the CoJ about this and they responded with "noted, thanks". Take that how you like, hopefully we'll get a cycle lane even if it's just temporary

If you are on a mountain bike, William Nicol is a breeze ...

from republic .. at the robot just before william nicole while still on republic cut a right at left ... and head down the pavement ...

follow it to william nicol .. you will be rewarded with some nice single and jeep track after that...

....then follow the jeep track all the way to the garage and then use the pavement to get to the robot at sandton drive ...

cross over and head up sandton drive on the opposite side of the road on the pavement ...

soon you will be rewarded with your own road (service road) which is hardly used ...

Cycle nicely up that steep hill at Sandton drive .. and you can be the USA embassy in no time ...

Thanks, I will definitely do that when I take the Mtb!

Archived