70 Km plus rides – Nutrition strategy

Russian and chips, wash down with a monster.

Praaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

Heck I had a zamalek quart at the VG railroad shebeen on Saturday...ice cold...Best beer I had in a long time.

Only on the spruit..... 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russian and chips, wash down with a monster.

Praaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

Heck I had a zamalek quart at the VG railroad shebeen on Saturday...ice cold...Best beer I had in a long time.

Aaah, a Russian...

The gift that keeps on giving...

Aaah, a Russian...

The gift that keeps on giving...

yoh with a monster, you repeat that combo for a week

Guest notmyname

I have been doing 50/60km rides with only a coffee before. Half way I have a bar of whatever is in the cupboard. 1.5l of water which I never finish and 500ml of cytopower.

We did a 70km ride on saturday (over groendlandberg) and we just packed a sixpack of beer and some beorie rolls.  :w00t:

Where did you get these? looks like its only available in CT. Would love to give it a try.

I have a couple with me if you want to try, also The Trailhead should have in the next week (I will start a tread as soon as I receive their stock). I also plan to go drop a box or 2 at Hakahana then and I am talking to another cycle chain store about stocking them up here in Gauteng for now.

It is a brand new product to the market and the founder is still sorting out logistics etc to get them up here (for now I am the only one and been trying to get them to people that would like to try them).

For obvious reasons one should refer to training or racing time rather than distances. It is important to remember that maximum rate of absorbtion in the human intestines is only about 1 g carbs per minute. A normally fuelled human should have enough muscle and liver glycogen reserves for about 90 min of strenous exercise.

There is some evidence that glucose and frucrose and maltodextrin are metabolised through different pathways, so that when a mixture of them is taken, the absorbtion rate is somewhat more than 1 g/min. There is also prove that on events exceeding 3 hrs some protein would be beneficial to faster recovery.

If you are taking in more than can be metabolised, it will inevitably lead to discomfort like bloating, stomach cramps and nausea.

With all of the above taken into acount, here is some general guidlines: less than 45 min: no carbs needed.

45-75 min: mouth rinsing, with any type of carb.

1-2 hr: up to 30 g/hr, any type of carb

2-3 hr: up to 60g/hr, carbs that are oxidized rapidly like glucose or maltodextrin

more than 2.5 hrs: up to 90g/hr, MUST be a combination of carbs that are absorbed via different mechanisms (e.g. glucose or maltodextrine combined with fructose in a 2:1 ratio.) Longer than 3 hours 1 gram of protein can be consumed for every 4 to 5 grams of carbs.

Hehe. Why bother wearing a helment?

No helmet, no ride...

I ride better after a brewskie, loose like a goose

I don't know what your fitness levels are like, but when I was new to cycling and unfit I ate more to keep me going for longer, or that's what I thought it would do.

10 months later, lightest and fittest i've been in about 12 years, on my hard training rides between 50-80km I have 1xbanana pre-ride, and 1x750ml bottle of cadence carbofuel and 1x750ml water which is not often used.

Try riding the same distances and just cut down your intake by small margins each time, I think you will eventually get to a stage where you won't need as much.

I have a couple with me if you want to try, also The Trailhead should have in the next week (I will start a tread as soon as I receive their stock). I also plan to go drop a box or 2 at Hakahana then and I am talking to another cycle chain store about stocking them up here in Gauteng for now.

It is a brand new product to the market and the founder is still sorting out logistics etc to get them up here (for now I am the only one and been trying to get them to people that would like to try them).

I had a look at their website and also send a mail to them. They said that you can do online orders from Friday, but I would like to first try it before order a bunch and then don't like it. I'm pretty sure you wont be able to order just 2 bars.

I use mac nuts and dates and cranberries on my rides with a banana and on shorter lower intensity (<80 km). Also use this on HIIT days during the week. On longer rides with higher intensity I take an energy drink, banana and energy bar (still trying different brands)

Its difficult to consume the nuts, cranberries and dates while riding, so I must stop to do this. I don't like stopping when I ride.

on long, hard (ish) rides on the weekend I will eat oats prior to the ride and besides the nuts, berries and dates, energy bar and drinks; this will be the only carbs I consume.

This Superbar makes a lot of sense then and it will be easy to consume it on the bake. I'm in Pta. I would like to meet you somewhere, What is the cost of this bars?

Archived