From 1x10 - 36t to 1x10 - 40t

JI Fourie

2K is expensive then you can just as well upgrade to XT 1x11 and then when you have to change the cassette it's about R1600

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but can you use that XT 11 speed cassette on a normal 10 speed hub and will it work with an SLX crank

What length cage do you have on your RD?

I am still running 1x10 (34/ 11-36) with Saint clutch RD short cage and just cant justify spending the money to upgrade to a 40 or 42 at the back, because I would have to change the RD obviously too. For now I am just going to work on my fitness and envy people going easier uphill than me (I get there too anyway) :blush:

Locally, there's Stoke (droo) but I think International Trade bring them in, so any LBS should be able to get one for you. PM Iwan. He knows more. Droo should also be able to get you one if you ask him nicely

It's Rush that brings them in.

I am still running 1x10 (34/ 11-36) with Saint clutch RD short cage and just cant justify spending the money to upgrade to a 40 or 42 at the back, because I would have to change the RD obviously too. For now I am just going to work on my fitness and envy people going easier uphill than me (I get there too anyway) :blush:

Medium, I think. And yea, the short cage Saint doesn't have the capacity for the 40/42t, from what I've read. 

but can you use that XT 11 speed cassette on a normal 10 speed hub and will it work with an SLX crank

Yeah, but that is 11sp. We're talking 10sp. 

To answer your question though, yes - an 11sp XT cassette DOES fit on the normal freehub body. It's exactly the same width as a 10sp cassette, just that the big 42 / 40t is more concave than the normal 36t.

Exactly the same position with a Zee setup.  Ended up investing in myself, chowing some cement, and ended doing to Sani on a 32T 11-36 setup.  It's all in the mind man!

Exactly the same position with a Zee setup.  Ended up investing in myself, chowing some cement, and ended doing to Sani on a 32T 11-36 setup.  It's all in the mind man!

Yip, I did Sani on that too...easy with the long travel bike too :ph34r:  ^_^

I think back to when I was riding more often (Tokai - SNIFF) on my 17kg Reign X. Was running a 34t 11-36 and wasn't a hassle. Yes, I kakked off at times, but I made it pretty much everywhere I needed to. 

I know that this is a 1x10 thread, but I'm not going to be running my setup as 1x.

With the current 38/26 XT crankset up front, and an 11/36 cassette, I still find that in a race, when my legs are either poked from the 1st 60km of going hell for leather, or if I'd like to spin a slightly easier gear to save my legs a bit more up a climb, the 38/36 juust isn't tall enough.

Got a sweet deal on that XTR crankset, and it's a 40/28. Gonna mate that up to the Praxis cassette, some XTR shifters, and a long cage XTR rear derailleur. 

My question is... Chain length... How do I determine what's best...?

Wrap it around both 40's without going through the derailleur and add 2 links...?

I know that this is a 1x10 thread, but I'm not going to be running my setup as 1x.

With the current 38/26 XT crankset up front, and an 11/36 cassette, I still find that in a race, when my legs are either poked from the 1st 60km of going hell for leather, or if I'd like to spin a slightly easier gear to save my legs a bit more up a climb, the 38/36 juust isn't tall enough.

Got a sweet deal on that XTR crankset, and it's a 40/28. Gonna mate that up to the Praxis cassette, some XTR shifters, and a long cage XTR rear derailleur. 

My question is... Chain length... How do I determine what's best...?

Wrap it around both 40's without going through the derailleur and add 2 links...?

hardtail or dual sus?

Hardtail, yes. Though I prefer to route it through the derailleur first, and check how far forward the cage can move, THEN add a link. This allows for different cage geometries, just to be sure that you don't rip the thing apart when you shift to 1st but are still in the big ring.

Full suss - DEFINITELY route it through the RD, and let all the air out your shock. Fully depress the rear suspension to allow for any chain growth, then wrap around 40&40, routed through the RD, max extension on the cage, check where the 2 ends meet and then add a link and break at that length.

That's the way I'd do it. I don't like the potential of sacrificing the RD just cos you did it the way that it has always been done on road bikes. 

You may find that you don't need to cut the chain at all.

Archived