From 1x10 - 36t to 1x10 - 40t

JI Fourie

Good day fellow hubbers,

I need some advice I've been using 1x10 32NW and 11-36 for over a year now. Im now considering upgrading to a 34NW and adding the Rapide 40t at the back so that I have some more top end speed.

Are their any complications with the XT derailleur and shifting when you have a 40t at the back?

And how are the guys experiencing the 40t at the back?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Works beautifully. Just had to adjust the b limit screw so that the top pulley clears the cassette. Otherwise excellent. You may have to extend your chain though, depending on how short it is right now.

Why not have a look at the Praxis 11-40 cassette? It's a little bit cheaper than a new cassette and range extender, plus the tooth gaps are better than taking apart an existing cassette then subbing a 16t for the 15&17...

It's also a very good looking piece of kit. Stoke carries them.

I have a 34t Oval on the front and 40t at the back using an XT RD with clutch. Only thing you'll have to do is adjust the tension screw to move the RD away from the 40T so that the jockey wheel does not touch it. Other than that I've never had any issues.

Oh yes, the chain might have to be extended a bit too, maybe one length, depending on how long it is at the moment.

Good day fellow hubbers,

I need some advice I've been using 1x10 32NW and 11-36 for over a year now. Im now considering upgrading to a 34NW and adding the Rapide 40t at the back so that I have some more top end speed.

Are their any complications with the XT derailleur and shifting when you have a 40t at the back?

And how are the guys experiencing the 40t at the back?

Thanks in advance!

I'm riding 34 NW and 11- 42 at the back. XT Long cage (sgs) clutch RD.

I ditched 15t and 17t to fit a 16t and 42t. Only adjustment required was that I had to thread the B screw in a long way to get clearance between 42t and RD inner pulley on the 42t ring.

With a 40t you wont need such a large B screw adjustment and a med cage (gs) RD should be ok if you dont have the SGS version.

You also likely have to add a few links to lengthen your chain to accomodate the bigger cogs.

I use 34 in front, 40T big one at the back. You definitely need to have the 16 tooth to swap with the 15/17. I use the SRAM X7 RD, it is not great, but OK. Would prefer XT clutch. I am very happy with the whole system. I had to put an extra length in the chain, I thought the chain was a bit tight in the 40T without it.

To be honest I wouldn't mine trying the 36 T in front with the 42 at the back. I do spin out sometimes in the 34/11 biggest gear. Maybe someone has experience with this setup.

I use 34 in front, 40T big one at the back. You definitely need to have the 16 tooth to swap with the 15/17. I use the SRAM X7 RD, it is not great, but OK. Would prefer XT clutch. I am very happy with the whole system. I had to put an extra length in the chain, I thought the chain was a bit tight in the 40T without it.

To be honest I wouldn't mine trying the 36 T in front with the 42 at the back. I do spin out sometimes in the 34/11 biggest gear. Maybe someone has experience with this setup.

Yeah, I'm running a 30t up front until I get my fitness back, and then will slowly ratchet up the tooth count up front...

I find the setting up of the 'mix and match' cassettes a bit fiddly. By mix and match I mean taking a cassette removing the 15/17, adding a 16t from somewhere and then the 40 ... but could be just me?

Mine works 'OK' but I wouldn't do it to my only bike as I have said more than once. I also have a 34NW together with the 11-40, it will never give the range of gears of a triple or double so will always be a compromise I guess.

I find the setting up of the 'mix and match' cassettes a bit fiddly. By mix and match I mean taking a cassette removing the 15/17, adding a 16t from somewhere and then the 40 ... but could be just me?

Mine works 'OK' but I wouldn't do it to my only bike as I have said more than once. I also have a 34NW together with the 11-40, it will never give the range of gears of a triple or double so will always be a compromise I guess.

That's exactly why I was proposing the praxis cassette. It's a full option but in 11-40. No fiddling required

That's exactly why I was proposing the praxis cassette. It's a full option but in 11-40. No fiddling required

Where does one buy the praxis in SA?

How much is it?

How much is it?

Pricey. 2k or so, but that's just a bit less than getting a new xt cassette and range extender with 16t.

Edit: thinking about it, it's actually not that bad if you were thinking of doing it the range extender way. Simpler and cleaner. No fiddling with cassette and taking them apart... Just fit and forget

I'm considering a praxis cassette actually.

My legs are battling with recovery times with my current 34 front - 11-36 at the back.

Pricey. 2k or so, but that's just a bit less than getting a new xt cassette and range extender with 16t.

Edit: thinking about it, it's actually not that bad if you were thinking of doing it the range extender way. Simpler and cleaner. No fiddling with cassette and taking them apart... Just fit and forget

:eek:  I'll just keep fiddling, I know I'm a cheap a$$  :ph34r:

Archived