any way to undo a dodgy buy?

zaney

hi hubbers. 

is there any way to get money back without dragging his name through the mud? i'm even willing to trade the wheels for something else to the same value. the thing is, I'm doing this to raise funds for an orphanage and really cannot afford to be throwing away 5k. any help will be appreciated. 

I'm a little bit curious to find the link here - are you doing a big ride for charity?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are they irreparable/unrepairable?

Forgive me spelling...

Yes agreed, he should atleast assist or refund, but...

You strongs on not wanting to drag he's name in the mud!

What type of rims, are, is it just 1 spoke or rim, give more details? If its a carbon repair although not advisable it can be fixed, if aluminium damage, can't you get replacement rim only keep spokes and hubs... Bottom line, it may not be a complete wasted 5k?

they are sram s40 wheels. carbon is cracked on all the spokes, as well as buckled. one of the spokes has pulled through the carbon making the hole too big. 

Flame suit on..

Speaking in general here as I don't know the specifics of this particular incident.

One of the reasons I won't buy anything expensive second hand privately, where I have little recourse.

There's most definitely dodgy chancers out there, but there's also people that are genuinely unaware of defects, or unaware of the extent of the defect of the thing they're selling.

Then there's also the risk the seller has, not knowing if damage occurred after the sale. I know voetstoots only applies if the seller knows of a problem and doesn't disclose it.

If you're buying without the knowledge to check something yourself is it not worth putting in a condition of purchase, have someone in the know check it out before the sale is finalized.

Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware.

he has indicated he was aware of the damage after i tried returning them, said that's how he bought them, so it's no longer his problem. 

I'm a little bit curious to find the link here - are you doing a big ride for charity?

it's not one particular big ride for charity. i've been doing triathlons and cycle races for kids haven. if you're really curious, i could send you a link any donations are tax refundable if you're willing to donate. ;)

For everyone's sake, you should name the person...we could be next! :eek:

I've given him a bad review, hopefully that will warn other hubbers off. haven't seen him active on here since then anyways. 

on the bright side, trying to make orange juice out of lemons, I assume i can use the hubs and build a set of wheels? anyone know who can assist with a build like this?

on the bright side, trying to make orange juice out of lemons, I assume i can use the hubs and build a set of wheels? anyone know who can assist with a build like this?

Really sorry about your loss/cost! Not in the good spirit of Hubness....

I'm sure there are a lot of good wheel builders out there. I use Tour De Frans in Boksburg:

Tel: (011) 918 4650 . Ask specifically for Jaco. He made me a set of strong wheels.

they are really reasonable with builds and services.

I'm alle for name and shame.  Hopefully it will get the accused to offer an explanation or protect the rest of us.  Luckily all my dealings so far on BikeHub have had happy endings :eek: !

Has anyone seen Foil lately?

Really sorry about your loss/cost! Not in the good spirit of Hubness....

thanks. there really is no hard feelings, i have had other dealings on the hub, and all good. in the spirit of positivity, it's about moving forward now. i was hoping to be able to get some kind of refund or at least an apology, but if not, it's no use crying over spilt milk. the question now is to make the most out of it. :)

I'm sure there are a lot of good wheel builders out there. I use Tour De Frans in Boksburg:

Tel: (011) 918 4650 . Ask specifically for Jaco. He made me a set of strong wheels.

they are really reasonable with builds and services.

thanks, will drop them a line. 

I'm alle for name and shame.  Hopefully it will get the accused to offer an explanation or protect the rest of us.  Luckily all my dealings so far on BikeHub have had happy endings :eek: !

Has anyone seen Foil lately?

Foil rings a bell, what did he do again?

Archived