Mugging this Monday between Paardeneiland and Woodstock

Ard Heinkens

Dear fellow cyclists,

Please be warned:

I was attacked by two pedestrians on Monday 14 September, and robbed of all my belongings, except my bicycles and clothes. I just came from Paardeneiland and went uphill towards Woodstock Myciti station on the much loved and quiet cycle lane.

Two pedestrians were walking behind each other on the cycle path towards me. As I past the first, he said something to the second. This one lashed out and hooked my right arm, causing my handle bar to twist and me to fall hard instantly. I tried to get up, but they ran to me and threatened me with some sort of plastic or iron rod. They tried to get my backpack off, but as I was wearing a helmet, this was not easy. They yanked and pulled hard, until my helmet came off. They ran off with bag and wallet into the field between Myciti route and N1.

Please share this story with more cyclists riding alone, as this clearly is not safe any longer. I will now look for a group to commute with, as I know there are a few that do this for their safety.

Let me know if you need more information.

Ard.

Sorry to here that, Ard. Glad you're OK. There is another thread on here about the same place on that cycle path where others have also been attacked

Sorry to hear about this (again!). I've also been attacked before, and heard about two recent incidents in the same area from fellow commuters in the past month or two.

One incident was reported to the police, but it doesn't seem as if anything has been done.

Might be worth reporting to the the Cape Town city council through their "SMARTCycling" initiative - https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/TravelSMART/Pages/SmartCycling.aspx. A mail to the mayor's office (cc Alan Winde) might be effective as well :-)

Bottom line (and I'm guilty of not following the advice myself) :

11. Be vigilant. Ride in groups or with other people. Do not venture into known trouble areas alone. If you are feeling unsafe or even just unsure, turn back.

Same old story! Terribly sad to see the cycle lane fail at this point because of neglect from the city. Fences are broken, easy entry and escape for the baddies. No policing where it is most needed. It looks like they have given up on it! I think the only solution to get cops to go there is to shoot a few of these motherfuckers attackers.Then the cops will arrive in force and in minutes.....to arrest the victim. :cursing:

Edited by DJR

Dear fellow cyclists,

Please be warned:

I was attacked by two pedestrians on Monday 14 September, and robbed of all my belongings, except my bicycles and clothes. I just came from Paardeneiland and went uphill towards Woodstock Myciti station on the much loved and quiet cycle lane.

Two pedestrians were walking behind each other on the cycle path towards me. As I past the first, he said something to the second. This one lashed out and hooked my right arm, causing my handle bar to twist and me to fall hard instantly. I tried to get up, but they ran to me and threatened me with some sort of plastic or iron rod. They tried to get my backpack off, but as I was wearing a helmet, this was not easy. They yanked and pulled hard, until my helmet came off. They ran off with bag and wallet into the field between Myciti route and N1.

Please share this story with more cyclists riding alone, as this clearly is not safe any longer. I will now look for a group to commute with, as I know there are a few that do this for their safety.

Ard.

Dear fellow cyclists,

Please be warned:

Ard.

I use the buss lane, tried to jack my bike about 6:10 am on the same spot, just to fast for them. Think I am going to use the N1 again.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear fellow cyclists,

Please be warned:

Ard.

What time of day?Saw 3 Metro cop vans in that area yesterday afternoon