Beginner's MTB Buying Guide

Lloydl

2c from a fellow budget-conscious beginner..

I bought a 2nd hand bike recently from a guy on here called Upshift cycles / upcycles (inbox me for his cell no). Great value, he will help you find what you need without the fear of getting ripped off. And Sportsmans Warehouse / Mr Price Sport for the rest.

Get yourself a 29ER from the beginning. The bigger the wheels, the more stable and easier to ride. Simple physics.

You will not get a 26er new (at least not a decent one), they are almost extinct.

I agree with the first bike shop. Get something new. Mtbs are usually hammered and are often a wreck, although you do get lucky with a good one now and again.

A new bike will have a warranty and will give you peace of mind. With some hunting you will pick up a bike that will handle the trails for R5000, otherwise if you can stretch your budget to R7000 or so, you will get something more capable.

Thanks everyone appreciate all the advice and help; all these cents of advice is adding up to good value :). I just have one more question - seems then that frame's are made by one brand (Giant, Silverback etc) and parts are made/ supplied by another; so if the parts are more or less the same across 'high value' entry bikes is the brand just a matter of preference?

Get yourself a 29ER from the beginning. The bigger the wheels, the more stable and easier to ride. Simple physics.

You will not get a 26er new (at least not a decent one), they are almost extinct.

I agree with the first bike shop. Get something new. Mtbs are usually hammered and are often a wreck, although you do get lucky with a good one now and again.

A new bike will have a warranty and will give you peace of mind. With some hunting you will pick up a bike that will handle the trails for R5000, otherwise if you can stretch your budget to R7000 or so, you will get something more capable.

what-55ad63486423d.png

Thanks everyone appreciate all the advice and help; all these cents of advice is adding up to good value :). I just have one more question - seems then that frame's are made by one brand (Giant, Silverback etc) and parts are made/ supplied by another; so if the parts are more or less the same across 'high value' entry bikes is the brand just a matter of preference?

There's no real straight answer for this. But for now, while you're getting to grips with everything. The easiest is way to answer you is pretty much YES. Some brands like Giant and Silverback offer better value for money. But you shouldn't get too hung up on brands (yet) Giant and Silverback make some pretty awesome bikes. But they make some crap ones too. 

A better point of departure would be to tell us which bikes specifically you are considering. Rather than asking us which brand to buy. 

There's also one thing you should also be weary of when taking everyone's advise into account. There are several mountain biking disciplines and by extension, several types of riders who prefer one kind of bike over the other. Some people like 29ers because its better for them and the type of riding they like doing. Don't let them tell you a 29er is simply better. While you are unsure of what you want. Advise like that is simply rubbish.

Swing a leg over a few bikes with the right sized frame for you in all the wheel sizes and see what feels good to you.

Ok based on my research and suggestions thus far would be silverback sola 4, giant talon and as a third trek - not sure of model; dealer in the north says he has bikes in my price range - not sure if you're familiar with any. Don't see too many posts about these and apparently they are one of best bikes?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok based on my research and suggestions thus far would be silverback sola 4, giant talon and as a third trek - not sure of model; dealer in the north says he has bikes in my price range - not sure if you're familiar with any. Don't see too many posts about these and apparently they are one of best bikes?

Confused yet?

Hubbers are good at that  :D

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this with

There are five key categories of mountain bikes that we’ll focus on, which can be roughly defined by the amount of suspension travel. Someone will disagree with these, and that’s okay. Suspension travel has steadily grown over the last 40 years, as technology has improved, and reduced or eliminated many downsides to long travel.

• XC – 80-120mm
  • Trail 120-140mm
  • All Mountain 140-160mm
  • Enduro 150-180mm
  • DH 180-220mm+

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/15/2019-mountain-bike-standards-guide-all-you-need-to-know-to-buy-a-new-bike/

Archived