Shock pressure

mike88

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody can help me out with the correct pressure for my air shock.

The shock is a Suntour XCR and I weigh 95kg.

Looked everywhere, even on Suntour website, but nothing!!!

I do not own this fork, but i would just: Pump it up, till you have 10% sag, if you sit on your bike.

Will it not be 20-25% sag?

Sag being how much the shock compresses under your body weight when on the bike with full riding kit.

I think the OP means fork, not shock.

Will it still be 20-25% for the fork and shock or do they have different sag settings?

Yes, meant fork...in front...sorry for that. So i assume that there isn't any chart to what the correct pressure should be??

Would sag not be different for bodyweight on flat road vs bodyweight downhill, over obstacles?

There may be a chart for sag based on weight I have not seen one. Sag is a general guide and can be adjusted tonthe type of riding you do.

My front Talas I run at 120psi which is the max I think for my fork and I am 78kgs.

Measure your sag at 20-25 with full kit, adjust pressure and test it out. Play worh the pressure until you find what is comfortable for you.

If you can go for a few rides with your pump and fiddle around until you get a setting that suits  you and where you generally ride and how you ride. You will be able to tell a fair bit from the clean vs dusty area of your stanchions when you come home if you don't have a O ring to mark them.

Will it still be 20-25% for the fork and shock or do they have different sag settings?

I run my fork and shock different.My shock is at 35% sag and my fork is quite hard, not sure on sag, I just rode and pumped it up until I stopped getting fork dive.

Yes, meant fork...in front...sorry for that. So i assume that there isn't any chart to what the correct pressure should be??

Would sag not be different for bodyweight on flat road vs bodyweight downhill, over obstacles?

Mike, set pressure to get 20 to 25% sag when sitting in normal riding position on flat ground. This is a good general STARTING point. Then based on your personal preference and riding conditions, adjust up and down in 5 psi increments till you are happy.

Will use the chart that Attie posted, just to begin with. Then do some riding to test and do adjustments.

Forget the chart. It is just a surrogate for sag. Go with sag directly. Depending your bike frame size, the stem length and bar width, the portion of your weight acting through the fork could vary. Sag is independent of all those factors. It directly measures what is happening right there at the fork.

Archived