49.4km have been covered in the first hour. :eek:  I'm glad I not one of the riders ordered to the front of the bunch.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, Sky has pulled the gap down by over a minute to 3'30".

Nibali has another little dig, looking around all the time to see who's responding to these jabs.

Kiryienka waits for the peloton

28 riders remains in the lead as Vassil Kiryienka waits for the peloton to work for Chris Froome. Antoine Duchesne, Matti Breschel and Dani Navarro go away.

A little counter attack by 3 riders. They've opened a small gap. Nibali in the break still.

An attack by an Astana rider (can't see who) to bridge across.

This is where this big break is going to splinter up. It's a bit of a free-for-all at the moment.

38km remaining from 162km

Duchesne, Navarro and Breschel

open a lead of 15 seconds over

their erstwhile companions, while

the gap to the peloton has eased

out again to four minutes, as

Movistar and Sky throttle back

after the climb. - Courtesy of CN

The front 4 have about a 300m gap to a small chase group of 5 - 6 riders. From that second group back to the rest of the break is another 400m or so.

Nibali and Geshke put in a huge effort to bridge to group 2. Both Astana riders together in this 2nd group.

With all those attacks and frantic increase in pace in the original break, the gap has yawned out to 5 minutes again.

Archived