Commuting from Krugersdorp to Sunninghill

Weppie

Hello all

I am wondering a few things re: Title of the thread.

1: Is there anybody doing something like this out there?

2: If there is, maybe I could join the "Bike Bus"

3: Safest route options?

Insights would be appreciated.

road or MTB?

Which side of K-dorp more or less?

Im on a CX bike so it doesnt matter too much. On or Off-road... 

Closer to Westrand Cycles than Key west centre

Geez, you got several cool options. How pressed for time are you?

I was thinking about leaving around 05:00-15-ish. Gives me enough time to make the trek & have time for a shower before work starts at 08:00. 

Depends on how confident you are on the road in traffic, but down Doreen, right on Hendrik potgieter, left on christiaan de wet, and straaaaaiiiigggghhhhht to sunninghill.

There are some off road section on witkoppen, but mostly yellow line riding, negotiating yellow line racers, and taxi's.

You can forego the Hendrik potgieter stretch, by going over HP onto peter road, where you can ride on the dirt shoulder, hit a right at Short street (i think) just before Tres Jolie.

Left at the T-junction right on the first dirt road. left at the t-juntion all the way to the top, and then make your way onto Beyers Naude (missing the majority of Zandspruit)

Then left on honeydew blvd all the way down to Northumberland and then onto Sunninghill.

I'm sure there are peeps with more route options. Im not very creative when it comes to these things, also a bit weary cutting across some random veld with cars and people out of sight.

As described above if you want the most direct route/s...Witkoppen can be a bit of a circus though so watch that stretch!!

I've often done the ride up Peter Rd, left into Beyers for a short way then past Hakuna Matata, Lion Park, Broadacres and then Sunninghill. Enjoyable ride but plenty off the tar if you don't mind getting to work nice and dirty.

I can send you the route map if you want.....

On a CX bike the dirt road through Muldersdrift from Hendrik Potgieter past the police station and out near the coffee warehouse, then right and run parallel to the N14, past the lion park all the way to Cedar Road - then broadacres, Wittkoppen etc

Last part is on the 94.7 route. Some big climbs though . . . .

I live in Strubens Valley and work in Rivonia, my route when I ride is onto HP then left up Christian De Wet, then turn right into John Voster and follow that thru Randburg till I get to main rd, go down main and go some back routes over William Nicol and thru the back end of Riverclub and Bryanston. Takes me about an hour.

The one draw back is there is lots of traffic, but I just cruise down the centre ala motorbikes and give way to them when they come up behind me...

• 2 months later...

So only done it once or twice now (and only during quiet times), but basically did the christiaan de wet till witkoppen and then sunning hill. If there is a group doing it more often , i would be keen to join. 

Archived