Help - Cholesterol

Anticlimb

I have been on various cholestrol medication since i was 28. I am now 46 1.76m 67kg and do not eat fats, much meat or anything esle for that mattter. Only 30% of the cholestrol comes form what you eat and drink, the rest is genetic. I have been on Lipitor 20mg for over 5 years with no side effects. I must be lucky!!!

Widget ' date=' have you made any major changes to your diet . I eat everything in moderation . But I found myself on Sunday in Pickpay looking at labels to make sure that what I was buying was low fat or fat free . I guess eating healthy is for the better . A way of life .[/quote']

No, Anticlimb, no changes what-so-ever.

........I eat everything in moderation anticlimb, but I dont do "junkfood" like burgers, hotdogs, fizzy drinks etc.

Honestly Anticlimb, the best advise I can give is,plan what you would like to eat the following week, do your own shopping and include / buy as much fresh produce as you can and leave the pre packaged dried foods where they are on the shelf. I eat fresh meat, chicken or fish everyday along with fresh salads and vegetables, pick the low fat option where you can for dairy products like milk, cream cheese, yogurt etc and dont eat yellow hard cheese (very high in fat) too often.

Make the changes now and soon you will be so used to it, it will be second nature - like you say its just choosing the "healthier option".

.............Oh and I can also add, I enjoy a small glass of wine every night as well - make your meals enjoyable and you wont find it hard to stick to.

It may be nerdy..... no, it definitely is nerdy,  to read labels -  but do it for a while to see what you're buying.

It's quite scary to see what is in foods and if you know your daily fat allowance you can make some sensible judgements.

Did I mention that it's nerdy?

Lipitor can cause serious liver damage.  Drink organic garlic - it does exactly the same thing as lipitor.

Napalm, taht occurs over an extended period.  A "liver function" (lewer funksie) blood test should be done when doing the cholesterol test.