Newbie needs a budget bike

Tbird1983

Hi guys,

I am new to the MTB scene, did my first 10km race (Caxton angels in need MTB challenge at RideFree Bike Park in Modderfontein Edenvale). Absolutely had a blast, ended up coming in 4th in my category and 9th overall in a time of 48:42 riding on a cheapy Totem 26 inch mountain bike I paid R999 for at Makro. The lady who came in just in front of me looked to be riding a full carbon fibre 29er and the 3rd place guy in my category was less than 30 seconds in front of me.

The only reason I bought the bike was to follow my wife when she does her running training ( we are more marathon runners) but I injured my foot so im not doing any long distance training at the moment. I was missing doing races so I decided to try a mountain bike race and I am now hooked on mountain biking.

I now would like to upgrade to a better MTB, I have a budget of R3000-5000 (will have to save a bit more to reach the R5000 though)

What would the more experienced riders suggest? Went to look at the Raleigh bikes from Makro but they not really a big step up from the cheapy I currently have LOL so I don't want to go that route even though it fits into my budget.

Also considering the entry level Titans from sportsmans warehouse maybe.

Thanks guys

Welcome!!

2nd hand - more bang for buck

Here on Hubland or even Gumtree

Find out if there are any hub members in your area - they would be willing to help (check a possible purchase)

Hi there and welcome to the hub.

Totem and Makro the worst options to choose so stay away if you wanting to seriously get into mountain biking.

Not sure what size bike you need, but take a look in the classifieds.  Use the Narrow search option for your price range

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_category&category_id=25

here some 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/160980-silverback-spectra-30-2012/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/161067-2015-giant-revel-0-29er/

Hi there and welcome to the hub.

Totem and Makro the worst options to choose so stay away if you wanting to seriously get into mountain biking.

Not sure what size bike you need, but take a look in the classifieds.  Use the Narrow search option for your price range

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_category&category_id=25

here some 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/160980-silverback-spectra-30-2012/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/161067-2015-giant-revel-0-29er/

Thanks guys, appreciate, I stay near Rietvlei and Thaba trails, Love riding thaba trails, they have an awesome trail.

Will def save up a bit more and look at the second hand ones.

I think im leaning towards as 27.5, done some research and it seems to be the ideal inbetween bike. Im not the tallest person, 174cm so a I think a 27.5 would be a better choice.

Also on down hill speed and low gearing for inclines, the gearing would make a more significant influence than wheel size or am I incorrect in saying that?

Wecome to the hub!

5k will buy you a decent 2nd hand machine with decent components, please, for the love of Jacob, do not buy any new bike from a super store!! Nothing wrong with a quality used bike, thats how i started.

There are plenty of options in the classifieds! 

Good luck

Your height does not determine wheel size but the type of riding does - your height determines frame size. Nothing wrong with starting out on a 26" bike. If you look after a 2nd hand bike you should get a similar price for it if you sell to "upgrade". 27.5 inch bikes are not all that readily available on the 2nd hand market (not at R5k). 26ers are not dead yet.

Hi Tbird. My first MTB bike was Totem as well. I bought second hand 29er for R4k and road bike for R3.8k here on the hub. Just wait for second hand bargains in Jan!

Wecome to the hub!

5k will buy you a decent 2nd hand machine with decent components, please, for the love of Jacob, do not buy any new bike from a super store!! Nothing wrong with a quality used bike, thats how i started.

There are plenty of options in the classifieds! 

Good luck

LOL no doubt there are some really good second hand bargains out there.

Your height does not determine wheel size but the type of riding does - your height determines frame size. Nothing wrong with starting out on a 26" bike. If you look after a 2nd hand bike you should get a similar price for it if you sell to "upgrade". 27.5 inch bikes are not all that readily available on the 2nd hand market (not at R5k). 26ers are not dead yet.

Thanks and apologies if I ask any stupid questions, I am very new to MTB'ing. I am currently on a cheapy 26 inch bike. I have seen loads of second hand 26 inch bikes for sale well within my budget, however ive skipped over them in favour of a bigger wheeled bike because being a newby, I thought bigger will be better, I do understand bigger gives more stability but I stand to learn more about that LOL.

What is the major differences between 26,27.5 and 29 inch besides wheel size and prices?

There's no way you can use BASSONIA and CHEAPIE in the same thread !!!

Is remember to buy a red one. Red one's are the fastest !!!

There's no way you can use BASSONIA and CHEAPIE in the same thread !!!

Is remember to buy a red one. Red one's are the fastest !!!

LOL renting a 1 bed cottage which is actually the cheapest I could find, still saving up a dep to buy a place but eish at the rate property prices are going up, it wont be any time soon. Wife has set a budget for me or I would go overboard LOL

Archived