Advice needed... Shoes & cleats

Ramiez

Hi all,

This might be a silly question but would it be advisable to use road shoes with MTB pedals and cleats?

Thanks

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

I can't see why not; I use Crank Brothers Candy pedals on my road bike and they work just fine. But then again, I'm no expert. There must be a reason for those big clunky road cleats.

I would think that road shoes are less 'rugged' and more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and may scuff easily? Other than that as long as they can take MTB cleats I don't see why not .....

I tried it a bit, works fine unless you have to walk in a MTB race or ride. Then they are rubbish. Find yourself falling all over the place.

Thanks all... The cleats and pedals will be used on a road bike. They clip in fine and fits quite nice.

I haven't ridden with it yet but can agree that walking on them might be crap.

The small contact area may lead to hotspots in the foot and is certainly not as stable as the wide platforms a road specific pedal like Shimano or look at time provide. But it will work and you shouldn't have any serious issues.

Let me be the first to ask the reverse stupid quetion... WHY do you even consider doing this? 

It would make sense if you're using MTB shoes on your road bike, many people do (me included of late). But road shoes and road bike - why do you want to fit MTB cleats and pedals with their smaller contact area and all?

Let me be the first to ask the reverse stupid quetion... WHY do you even consider doing this? 

It would make sense if you're using MTB shoes on your road bike, many people do (me included of late). But road shoes and road bike - why do you want to fit MTB cleats and pedals with their smaller contact area and all?

Thanks SeaBee... to answer your question, I am trying to get my wife into using cleats. She tried using road pedals (Shimano) and cant get the hang of it. Too tight she says, even after adjusting the tension. After trying the MTB cleats she says its a lot better clipping in or out.

So my objective is to test and if it works I can invest in MTB shoes to go with the pedals and cleats.

You actually get mtb cleats from shimano that gives you a bigger platform of contact and only one side clipin, I used to ride my road bike with mtb shoes and just recently upgraded to road shoes and cleats to give more stability and less flex on my feet.

You actually get mtb cleats from shimano that gives you a bigger platform of contact and only one side clipin, I used to ride my road bike with mtb shoes and just recently upgraded to road shoes and cleats to give more stability and less flex on my feet.

any idea of where to find these? a link maybe?

Aaah okay... As for the bigger platform - I ride with Look STracks on MTB and road bike. Works good enough for me, but I'm nowhere near the front of any pack.

For me it clips out better and more consistent than Shimano MTB pedals.But only one tension... not adjustable. Uses the same shoe grooves than Shimano cleats. 

I know this doesn't answer your question, but just gives another pedal option. But - as long as the grooves match with the cleats, I don't see why you can use it that way. Haven't looked at a road shoe in a long while, so have no idea whether they match up or not! 

Aaah okay... As for the bigger platform - I ride with Look STracks on MTB and road bike. Works good enough for me, but I'm nowhere near the front of any pack.

For me it clips out better and more consistent than Shimano MTB pedals.But only one tension... not adjustable. Uses the same shoe grooves than Shimano cleats. 

I know this doesn't answer your question, but just gives another pedal option. But - as long as the grooves match with the cleats, I don't see why you can use it that way. Haven't looked at a road shoe in a long while, so have no idea whether they match up or not! 

would the bi-pedal not be a better option for beginner?

Thanks all... The cleats and pedals will be used on a road bike. They clip in fine and fits quite nice.

I haven't ridden with it yet but can agree that walking on them might be crap.

I use the MTB cleats and shoes on a training road bike. Don't have any issues. Nice for walking around, at coffee shops etc.

I think for racing you may loose a bit of stability in pedalling with having the smaller pedals.

Why don't you rather try the look keo easy pedals? They are super easy to clip into and out of. She should also practise unclipping and clipping in on an IDT or even leaning on a wall first for a long time before you go out on the road. It will help.

I do have her practicing in the IDT. Her try both road and MTB cleats. thus far she is a lot more comfortable with the MTB cleats. If it was up to me I would let her use the road cleats instead.

does the look keo easy pedals really do as the name says? Would a LBS allow us to try it?

Archived