Garmin edge 305

veyron.

With the garmin edge you get a speed/cadence pick up that you mount on the frame.

But the edge is a gps which can pick up speed with out this. When I walk with it, it tells me my walking speed, and when im not paired with any satellites it wont tell me my speed on the bike.

I never use cadence, its turned off so do i actually need this pick up? Could I just remove it and will it still function properly?

No you dont need the sensor, unless you want to measure cadence. The sensor is only there in case you are way undercover and the gps unit cant track the satellite, then the sensor kicks in.

I ride with mine without sensor and never had a problem yet.

I ride without the sensor and have found that I loose signal on my MTB in forest areas and do not match the readings on mates polars, distance + average speed etc

Yea I just checked and it looses a speed reading in the house. So ill leave it on. I dont want to loose my readings in the mountain

I have the speed/cadence sensor mounted on my road bike because there I am interested in cadence.

However I mostly use my Edge on my MTB without the sensor.

Reception is very good and it is very seldom that I loose signal, even under tree cover.

The 305 get it's speed from the satellites. Only when you loose reception does the edge not display speed. (In a tunnel, sometimes under heavy tree coverage. etc)

Never lost signal but then i dont go into tunnels and things, some guys i know put theirs in the mesh pocket of their camelbacks and it still reads. You can also fit the speed/cadence sensor to your indoor trainer.

Afstand met 'n GPS in 'n reguit lyn is baie akkuraat, but the 305 takes a reading of position etc every few seconds and connect the dots mathematically with straight lines. Lots of curves (MTB) would make it more inaccurate. I would think that there is also a discrepency with regards to ascending and descending. I would think that any method to measure distance travelled on a bike that can come to within 5% is pretty dam good enough. (Most car manufacturers will not claim better than 10% - That is why they only trap from 10% over the speed limit)

The speed sensor also comes in handy when on the IDT and you ain't moving.

Also noticed that there is about a 10km diff between the speedometer on my car and that of the GPS. Should make for an interesting argument with the cops.

The 305 can also be set to measure real time although they don't recommend it as the unit runs out of memory after about 3 hours of riding.
MuXmAn2008-04-23 05:33:35