What's the deal with Kalbo?

DoubleJ

ja, I know - but that's not the point. The point is that a 30t crank with a 40t rear cog will result in a 1:0.75 ratio (1 turn of crank = 0.75 turn of wheel) regardless of wheel size. 

If they wanted to include the wheel size in the calcs, they should have added another column to compare it against another wheelsize, and say "feels like" when you select the different wheelsize / tyre size.

At the moment, it's just punching out incorrect ratios. 

oh ok i dont know to much about it ....just seemed to make sense ..appologies if its wrong

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh ok i dont know to much about it ....just seemed to make sense ..appologies if its wrong

no mate, not your fault... I deal with numbers day in and day out, so this sort of thing really peeves me off, especially when it results in misrepresentation of actual figures. 

Current vs Kalbo setup

Howzit DoubleJ, sometimes a picture is easier than a bunch of numbers (for me anyway). This graph might help you. My preferred setup is a 32/42 to give biggest range of gears possible for KZN area plus Sani2C, Berg and Bush type stage races. Feel free to drop me a whatsapp or pm.

post-64368-0-67978500-1447077586_thumb.jpg

First of all it looks like a good deal and I am really starting to consider this.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/124024-kalbo-1-x-10-package-conversion-kit/

I am not fit by any means, but starting to make my way back to some decent fitness levels. Currently running 40/28 with 11/36 XT at the back. If there's one thing I hate it's my front derailleur...I hate changing rings, purely because of the fact that it reminds you that you are using some gears in the back more than others. I was looking at 1 x 11, but I'm currently not in the business of robbing banks.

Just wanted to get some feedback from other riders that went this route. Is it worth it, do you walk a lot more now and have you lost more speed on the flats...or have you decided to never go back to multiple front rings?

We have quite a lot hills and granny gears come in very handy. 34 or 32 in front?

Many thanks

Running a Kalbo converted 1x10 system for about 10 months now.

I run 34 chainring with converted 11-42 cassette on a 29er. ( tossed the 15 and 17 rings, added 16 and 42).

This all works fine with a XT med cage clutch RD (M786 -GS). I had to turn in the B screw quite a bit to make it work. Also had to add some spacer washers between crank and chainring to fine-tune the chainline. The spacer washers come with the Kalbo kit.

If you currently run a 2x crank, then your chainring bolts may be too short to accomodate the new chainring plus spacer washers so get a set of chainring bolts for a 3x crank. They are longer 'cos they have to clamp a big ring and middle ring.

I takes about 2 - 3 months for your legs to get stronger in compensation for the lost granny gear but you are already running 40-28 cranks so should be OK. You will lose speed on the top end.....a lot. Again, it takes a while to learn to spin a bit more. If you are a dirt roadie and not a real mountain biker you may not like it but for trail riding 1x10 / 1x11 is the bomb.

I like :

- quieter

- my dropper remote goes where the front shifter was.

- cheap way to drop 400g weight off your bike

I don't like :

- loss of range in gears at top and bottom. I ride 80% trails but also a bit of dirt road, tar and some very steep stuff when exploring off-trail

Howzit DoubleJ, sometimes a picture is easier than a bunch of numbers (for me anyway). This graph might help you. My preferred setup is a 32/42 to give biggest range of gears possible for KZN area plus Sani2C, Berg and Bush type stage races. Feel free to drop me a whatsapp or pm.

Thanks Master Kalbo....That picture just....painted a new picture. Looks like it will be 32/42 then.

Running a Kalbo converted 1x10 system for about 10 months now.

I run 34 chainring with converted 11-42 cassette on a 29er. ( tossed the 15 and 17 rings, added 16 and 42).

This all works fine with a XT med cage clutch RD (M786 -GS). I had to turn in the B screw quite a bit to make it work. Also had to add some spacer washers between crank and chainring to fine-tune the chainline. The spacer washers come with the Kalbo kit.

If you currently run a 2x crank, then your chainring bolts may be too short to accomodate the new chainring plus spacer washers so get a set of chainring bolts for a 3x crank. They are longer 'cos they have to clamp a big ring and middle ring.

I takes about 2 - 3 months for your legs to get stronger in compensation for the lost granny gear but you are already running 40-28 cranks so should be OK. You will lose speed on the top end.....a lot. Again, it takes a while to learn to spin a bit more. If you are a dirt roadie and not a real mountain biker you may not like it but for trail riding 1x10 / 1x11 is the bomb.

I like :

- quieter

- my dropper remote goes where the front shifter was.

- cheap way to drop 400g weight off your bike

I don't like :

- loss of range in gears at top and bottom. I ride 80% trails but also a bit of dirt road, tar and some very steep stuff when exploring off-trail

"If you are a dirt roadie and not a real mountain biker"

I am not worthy....

First of all it looks like a good deal and I am really starting to consider this.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/124024-kalbo-1-x-10-package-conversion-kit/

I am not fit by any means, but starting to make my way back to some decent fitness levels. Currently running 40/28 with 11/36 XT at the back. If there's one thing I hate it's my front derailleur...I hate changing rings, purely because of the fact that it reminds you that you are using some gears in the back more than others. I was looking at 1 x 11, but I'm currently not in the business of robbing banks.

Just wanted to get some feedback from other riders that went this route. Is it worth it, do you walk a lot more now and have you lost more speed on the flats...or have you decided to never go back to multiple front rings?

We have quite a lot hills and granny gears come in very handy. 34 or 32 in front?

Many thanks

34 front 11/40 back then it is...dankie manne!

I am a light weight 95kg's, ride on some rather steep hills and use a 34t up front with a 40T expander out back. Only when really broken do I wish for a 42T, but that has only been once.

So far this combo has worked well for me.

Used it at the W2W last week and was concerned it would be too tall for three days tough riding, turned out the ratio was rather good, and the 34t is a nice to have when things level out a little or you are on rolling hills.

Give it a spin and see how it goes for you with the 34-40t combo.

"If you are a dirt roadie and not a real mountain biker"

I am not worthy....

He he.... just pushing a few buttons there to see who would bite[emoji12]. Any kind of cycling is better than no cycling.

Just fitted a 34+11-40 on my sisters bike, she is pretty strong in her legs I have to say, hope she like it, will know in the next 2 weeks but after going around the blok it feels good!

I am to lazy to fit my 36+11-40 on my bike hahaha, I spend some time in the gym so I think the legs are strong, will find out in the next month.

And for Colin, that is very good service, I can recommend!

I am looking at changing myself so spoke to Colin last week and I will rather go with a 32/42 rather have the get out of hell gear then get burnt. But some buggers are strong so they can push some big stuff. Colin is really jacked and knows what he is talking about,waiting for the ovals to come out.

I saw on the weekend that Kalbo are coming out with an Oval ring soon. 

Serious? After I just coughed just under R1k for an Absoluteblack. Timing sucks but I reckon it will be a winner.

I've just converted to a 32 oval, 11/42 from a 3x10 and can't say I feel any more strain on the ups and I am a bit of a pap-slang!

No front derailleur and a much cleaner cockpit make it well worthwhile.

32T front and 11-36 ten speed cassette. Loving it. Will replace my 32T with a 34 oval. Kalbo front rings gold only or do they have black ones?

Archived