What's the deal with Kalbo?

DoubleJ

First of all it looks like a good deal and I am really starting to consider this.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/124024-kalbo-1-x-10-package-conversion-kit/

I am not fit by any means, but starting to make my way back to some decent fitness levels. Currently running 40/28 with 11/36 XT at the back. If there's one thing I hate it's my front derailleur...I hate changing rings, purely because of the fact that it reminds you that you are using some gears in the back more than others. I was looking at 1 x 11, but I'm currently not in the business of robbing banks.

Just wanted to get some feedback from other riders that went this route. Is it worth it, do you walk a lot more now and have you lost more speed on the flats...or have you decided to never go back to multiple front rings?

We have quite a lot hills and granny gears come in very handy. 34 or 32 in front?

Many thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all it looks like a good deal and I am really starting to consider this.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/124024-kalbo-1-x-10-package-conversion-kit/

I am not fit by any means, but starting to make my way back to some decent fitness levels. Currently running 40/28 with 11/36 XT at the back. If there's one thing I hate it's my front derailleur...I hate changing rings, purely because of the fact that it reminds you that you are using some gears in the back more than others. I was looking at 1 x 11, but I'm currently not in the business of robbing banks.

Just wanted to get some feedback from other riders that went this route. Is it worth it, do you walk a lot more now and have you lost more speed on the flats...or have you decided to never go back to multiple front rings?

We have quite a lot hills and granny gears come in very handy. 34 or 32 in front?

Many thanks

Yes, it's worth it. I'm running a 30t (going to go up to 36 soon) and the difference is marked. Running 11-40 at the back.

The ratio (30/40) is actually an "easier" ratio than your 28/36, and to get the same ratio as you currently have, you would need a 31t ring. A 32t ring at the front, therefore, would be 3% more difficult on the ups than your existing granny. If you went for a 34t front ring, your granny would be 7% more difficult than your current granny, or like climbing in a gear slightly easier than your current 2nd gear. 

I'd therefore recommend the 34t up front... Best spread of ratios, closest to but more difficult than your existing setup (hence more fitness) and a higher top end than the 32 would give you. 

I saw on the weekend that Kalbo are coming out with an Oval ring soon.

Lots of exciting things happening behind the scenes with this local operation. Worth following and supporting.

Yes, it's worth it. I'm running a 30t (going to go up to 36 soon) and the difference is marked. Running 11-40 at the back.

The ratio (30/40) is actually an "easier" ratio than your 28/36, and to get the same ratio as you currently have, you would need a 31t ring. A 32t ring at the front, therefore, would be 3% more difficult on the ups than your existing granny. If you went for a 34t front ring, your granny would be 7% more difficult than your current granny, or like climbing in a gear slightly easier than your current 2nd gear. 

I'd therefore recommend the 34t up front... Best spread of ratios, closest to but more difficult than your existing setup (hence more fitness) and a higher top end than the 32 would give you. 

Isn't there a site where you can workout these ratios on the fly?

I saw on the weekend that Kalbo are coming out with an Oval ring soon.

I have an absolute black oval chain ring. Loving it. Whilst riding, if you clip out one foot and pedal with the other, you honestly feel how it cancels out the dead spot in a pedal stroke.

As for Kalbo, I did my initial set up through them and received the most amazing service and advice from them.

Except, like idiots, they've pegged the ratios against a base wheel size of 26" so it's actually including a final drive ratio difference in the calculations. 

A 26" with a 30/40 ratio has EXACTLY the same ratio as a 27.5 with 30/40 - that is, for every turn of the cranks, the wheel turns 0.75 rotations. 

It's only when you factor the wheelsize that that final figure changes, IF you're comparing different wheelsizes. If you're comparing different gearing setups, a 30/40 is 30:40 is 3/4 is 0.75 Muppets. 

Kalbo are awesome. Great product , brilliant service . You wont be sorry going 1x or using Kalbo.

Yes Colin and his team at Kalbo run a very good setup . I am running the 32n/w on my GT 29er with an old 9 speed (11/34) with an old Alivio rear derailleur and as yet have never dropped a chain , have a real close look at them and you can see that their teeth are slightly longer than the Raceface and Wolftooth , that can only result in a better chain retention .  

Except, like idiots, they've pegged the ratios against a base wheel size of 26" so it's actually including a final drive ratio difference in the calculations. 

A 26" with a 30/40 ratio has EXACTLY the same ratio as a 27.5 with 30/40 - that is, for every turn of the cranks, the wheel turns 0.75 rotations. 

It's only when you factor the wheelsize that that final figure changes, IF you're comparing different wheelsizes. Muppets. 

you can change the wheelsize by just clicking it

you can change the wheelsize by just clicking it

ja, I know - but that's not the point. The point is that a 30t crank with a 40t rear cog will result in a 1:0.75 ratio (1 turn of crank = 0.75 turn of wheel) regardless of wheel size. 

If they wanted to include the wheel size in the calcs, they should have added another column to compare it against another wheelsize, and say "feels like" when you select the different wheelsize / tyre size.

At the moment, it's just punching out incorrect ratios. 

Archived