To hell and back: Single speed gear ratio

ajlouw

Hi Single speeders! Planning on riding the Hell and Back this weekend on my Niner Sir SS. I am a little bit unsure about what gear to use. I am planning to ride a 34x20. I am light fairly fit. My other choice could be 32x20. I dont have a sprocket larger than 20. Any tips and suggestions will be truly appreciated. Thanks. Anyone else going to do this event on a SS?

I assume you have done it before and know it is one moerse uphill followed by downhill and same for day two . a 32/19 should take up the pass without to many problems . 

Hi Single speeders! Planning on riding the Hell and Back this weekend on my Niner Sir SS. I am a little bit unsure about what gear to use. I am planning to ride a 34x20. I am light fairly fit. My other choice could be 32x20. I dont have a sprocket larger than 20. Any tips and suggestions will be truly appreciated. Thanks. Anyone else going to do this event on a SS?

I usually ride a 32x20 and that would have been my ratio for the Hell and Back but I am heavy, unfit and old so you should be fine with the 34x20 or even heavier.

The last 20km on the second day is basically going to be one massive spinathon.

I usually ride a 32x20 and that would have been my ratio for the Hell and Back but I am heavy, unfit and old so you should be fine with the 34x20 or even heavier.

The last 20km on the second day is basically going to be one massive spinathon.

This is my first Hell and Back, but I've riden up swartbergpas on a geared bike before. Mostly riding single speed currently.

I just want to avoid walking. I thought to maybe ride day 1 34x20 and day 2 32x20, if I struggle too much on day 1.

Thanks.

34 x 20 sounds good if it similar to Swartbergpass .Rather slightly heavy than standing and spinning on 32 X 20 .You can always walk in between than spin to much .I ride a 34 X 19 and can ride all but the steepest with it .

Edited by Blitzer

Thanx everyone! My buddies says heartbreakhill coming back out of Gamkaskloof is probably the worst part.

Will keep you posted!

Hi Everyone!

Back from the hell! Managed everthing on the 34x20 even heartbrake hill. Slashed front tyre on the first day but luckily managed with the tube. This was a harsh ride with high tyre pressure on the rigid fork! Day 2 was fantastic with new tyre on and a lot of climbing. Managed to do 3:15 on day2. Amazing ride! Fantastic organising by Wikus and his team. Lekker camping, beers, entertainment and great food in the hell!

I can really recommend this ride.

Met two other Single Speeders from Sedgefield: Ben and Christo. Hardcore guys. They did Baviaans on SS! Nice meeting you guys!

Hi Everyone!

Back from the hell! Managed everthing on the 34x20 even heartbrake hill. Slashed front tyre on the first day but luckily managed with the tube. This was a harsh ride with high tyre pressure on the rigid fork! Day 2 was fantastic with new tyre on and a lot of climbing. Managed to do 3:15 on day2. Amazing ride! Fantastic organising by Wikus and his team. Lekker camping, beers, entertainment and great food in the hell!

I can really recommend this ride.

Met two other Single Speeders from Sedgefield: Ben and Christo. Hardcore guys. They did Baviaans on SS! Nice meeting you guys!

Well done - doing 3h15 on Day 2 is hardcore even on a geared bike!