New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

New bike day in our house yesterday, my daughter turns 6 next month!! And she has now outgrown her little Prevelo completely. She also needed gears and now I am looking forward going proper MTBing with her! Here is her bicycle development since she was 2 years old..

image.jpeg.d7bfb5332d7fb35ca51f11e8cb9aa89c.jpeg

image.jpeg.085ae2996cf1f7405566a701b36acd1c.jpeg

image.jpeg.872a88d24c11e8c7c5539769ef9eb4f8.jpeg

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/24/2024 at 4:48 PM, hayleyearth said:

How is windsurfing in brisbane?

Windsurfing- are you stuck in a time warp from the 90’s, that fad must be about 2 or 3 behind the times😉

I think there is some element of wind surfing in Brisbane proper, but probably not the advanced stuff you saw in the old cigarette ads, the barrier islands protect the bay from high winds and seas.

The current cool kids are kite surfing at Noosa-  a 2 hour drive north from Brisbane, combination of both sheltered and exposed waters, and more people to impress being a holiday hotspot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, hayleyearth said:

How is windsurfing in brisbane?

On 5/31/2024 at 4:32 PM, patham said:

Windsurfing- are you stuck in a time warp from the 90’s, that fad must be about 2 or 3 behind the times😉

Maybe she means sokkie dancing?

Is there an underground sokkie scene in Brizzie? 😅

13 hours ago, patches said:

Maybe she means sokkie dancing?

Is there an underground sokkie scene in Brizzie? 😅

Luckily my rooinek status means I have never been sent an invite to one of those. 

But then again, the first rule of Sokkie Club is that we never talk about Sokkie Club!

Already 2 weekends ago , but Layla loved the trails at Woodhill. She's not strong enough yet to pedal the little uphills on the trails, but that will come.

....Hugo still doesn't want to know anything about bing on his own bicycle 😢

IMG-20240603-WA0097.jpg

20240603_123153.jpg

20240603_120603.jpg

On 6/21/2024 at 8:02 AM, hayleyearth said:

Already 2 weekends ago , but Layla loved the trails at Woodhill. She's not strong enough yet to pedal the little uphills on the trails, but that will come.

....Hugo still doesn't want to know anything about bing on his own bicycle 😢

IMG-20240603-WA0097.jpg

20240603_123153.jpg

20240603_120603.jpg

This is awesome!!!

Dammit, I need to get out and about on the bike!

The other day I was shuffling things around in the garage and had to move the MTB's and dirt bike out. The levels of dust and cobwebs on them is unacceptable!

3 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Anyone wanna buy a tesla model Y?

Wait, what happened to the Carnival? Or is the Model Y in addition to that?

19 minutes ago, patches said:

Wait, what happened to the Carnival? Or is the Model Y in addition to that?

LOL - I change cars often.

The carnival was bought purely as a temp measure when my Mother in Law and Father in law were visiting. We just needed a larger vehicle for that and I did not want to pay for car hire. At the time, there was a waiting list for Carnivals, so I ended up buying one and selling it with a total loss of $1,000 across the 3 months. Given that hiring a van would have cost me around $4k for the month that the inlaws were here, that was a pretty sweet move.

I replaced the Carnival with a new Tesla Model Y. I love this car. It is amazing. I have had it for 16 months. Unfortunatley, I need a 7 seater. My Brother In law and his son have moved here and we frequently need to move the nephew around and my kids are simply too big to squash together.

So I am in the market for a 7 seater SUV again and will sell the Tesla.

5 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

LOL - I change cars often.

The carnival was bought purely as a temp measure when my Mother in Law and Father in law were visiting. We just needed a larger vehicle for that and I did not want to pay for car hire. At the time, there was a waiting list for Carnivals, so I ended up buying one and selling it with a total loss of $1,000 across the 3 months. Given that hiring a van would have cost me around $4k for the month that the inlaws were here, that was a pretty sweet move.

I replaced the Carnival with a new Tesla Model Y. I love this car. It is amazing. I have had it for 16 months. Unfortunatley, I need a 7 seater. My Brother In law and his son have moved here and we frequently need to move the nephew around and my kids are simply too big to squash together.

So I am in the market for a 7 seater SUV again and will sell the Tesla.

Hopefully you don’t lose too much on the Y. The depreciation in Aus on the Tesla’s is pretty high over the last few months given the large price cuts in the new ones. 

Just as a warning for Hayleyearth, this drowned Xenomorph from Aliens nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw it in a drainage pit in my backyard. I really, really, really never want to see a live one.

D8360551-4743-436D-AD33-79938729FCE8.jpeg.9af9963aa312d63d509b2bf3f69cb533.jpeg

On 6/24/2024 at 6:17 AM, patches said:

Dammit, I need to get out and about on the bike!

The other day I was shuffling things around in the garage and had to move the MTB's and dirt bike out. The levels of dust and cobwebs on them is unacceptable!

Beware of deterioration! Amazing how hydraulic brakes turn to sponge, sealant turns into gunk, chains turn into friction generators, and gear indexing falls apart when bikes are left alone too long. My one spare bike became an absolute health hazard and was unrideable after sitting for 1.5 years.

54 minutes ago, patham said:

Beware of deterioration! Amazing how hydraulic brakes turn to sponge, sealant turns into gunk, chains turn into friction generators, and gear indexing falls apart when bikes are left alone too long. My one spare bike became an absolute health hazard and was unrideable after sitting for 1.5 years.

Tell me about it, the Hope M4's on my slopestyle bike are kaput! Also don't know who the Hope agents in NZ are and CRC went bust, so might be a pain getting a service kit.

But that's a problem for future me! Present me can't even find time to dream about riding 😅

31 minutes ago, patches said:

Tell me about it, the Hope M4's on my slopestyle bike are kaput! Also don't know who the Hope agents in NZ are and CRC went bust, so might be a pain getting a service kit.

But that's a problem for future me! Present me can't even find time to dream about riding 😅

I see the CRC site is still up, I think they could be trading under administration or so. But they no longer have Hope as a searchable brand, so their ability to provide stuff in general might be much reduced from their heyday. Which was supported by vast proportions of my monthly salary back then. Titanium weight weenie QR skewers anyone?

As a rabbit hole I just checked if Torpedo 7 might have Hope stuff for you, and saw that business got sold off for $1.00 a few months ago, so it must also be struggling. When I came to Aus, their Aussie operation was the bomb.

• 2 weeks later...

Riding looks a bit different these day than what it did on The Spruit....

10 points for the 1st one to recognize the old Spruit local :)

IMG-20240630-WA0000.jpg.b3b9bdf1539987c4d9129a68d3099b8c.jpg

IMG-20240630-WA0049.jpg.247858e1ec2f1c7947a89d42d1078bbe.jpg