New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

1 minute ago, davetapson said:

Yeah, I've wondered about this too. 

Also the weather can be k4k.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, davetapson said:

Ha, just applied for our citizenship - it's only been two weeks but I'm checking every day... :)

I renewed my UK passport at the same time - 5 mins on an app, one selfie, and 'send your old passport to us at xxx with this reference number..."

Started renewing the kids Saffa passports:

- certified copies of unabridged birth certs (why? they have the originals - they gave them to us?
- pp photos of kids, endorsed by a JP who has to see kids
- certified copies of everyone's passports, kids and parents (why?, they issued the damn things in the first place?!
- certified copies of parents UK naturalisation certs.  Why, we gonna lie about being citizens of another country when you make it so hard for us to dual citizens?

If I didn't think I'd like to be keeping my kids passports valid 'just because' I'd chuck it in as a pointless exercise.

JP's all over must be getting carpal tunnel / tendonitis / tennis elbow / stamping exhaustion just due to SA govt lameness.

We did ours on 19 Dec 2022, all done and approved on 18 Jan 2023, passports in hand mid-April 2023.
Two of my friends submitted theirs Aug 2023, and both are still waiting for approval. Feedback is they are working on Feb 2023 applications currently.

HOWEVER, I also happen to know of three other families that applied in the last 4 months, and they all got theirs approved within 2-3 weeks, so who knows what the actual processing time is?

My friend who is still waiting got feedback that the initial checks are automated, BUT, the systems are highly uhm... temperamental and if one of the systems in this process is unavailable when yours get checked, it does not go through the automatic line and gets thrown to the manual check, which takes forever.

4 hours ago, Saag said:

We did ours on 19 Dec 2022, all done and approved on 18 Jan 2023, passports in hand mid-April 2023.
Two of my friends submitted theirs Aug 2023, and both are still waiting for approval. Feedback is they are working on Feb 2023 applications currently.

HOWEVER, I also happen to know of three other families that applied in the last 4 months, and they all got theirs approved within 2-3 weeks, so who knows what the actual processing time is?

My friend who is still waiting got feedback that the initial checks are automated, BUT, the systems are highly uhm... temperamental and if one of the systems in this process is unavailable when yours get checked, it does not go through the automatic line and gets thrown to the manual check, which takes forever.

We applied Feb 2023, only received notification that it’s approved yesterday. Now waiting for the ceremony which they say can take 1-4 months. And then we can apply for passports, which again is currently taking a good while. 

Damn.  

I, I don't know how, managed not to include my middle name when filling in our application... doing five people's worth of application can do that - you pay more attention to their's than yours.

I emailed them to point this out - I hope like hell it doesn't kick it from 'automated' to 'manual'.

What are the chances of that not happening.  Aargh.

On 4/30/2024 at 4:06 PM, Saag said:

On 4/30/2024 at 9:03 PM, canfan said:

We applied Feb 2023, only received notification that it’s approved yesterday. Now waiting for the ceremony which they say can take 1-4 months. And then we can apply for passports, which again is currently taking a good while. 

Such a mixed bag! Mine was about a 3 month process in total:

• Applied for Citizenship - early August 2023
  • Granted Citizenship - early September 2023
  • Attended Ceremony - early October 2023 (and applied for passport as soon as I got home)
  • Passport Issued - early November 2023

Possibly a quicker process as I was the only person on the application. But still, loads of variation in some of those time frames you guys are experiencing.

As for SA passport renewal, after reading @davetapson,s account, I may just leave that for future me to deal with 😅

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 11:11 PM, ByronH said:

Hi all. A little rant. I feel like my love for mountain biking has slowly died here in Auckland. I felt like biking was just way more fun and accessible in SA, even Johannesburg where I lived. Yes crime was a real bummer... but I loved my mtbing,  whether it be a formal trail like Van Gaalens, or doing the Spruit with some buds, or commuting to work along sidewalks and little green cut through.

It just seems Bleh here... had a bike stolen at the bus station, was taken out by a mom steaming out her driveway to fetch her kids.  On my 3rd bike here in 1.5 years... 

Sure, I enjoy the occasional ride at Woodhill when I get out there. And Riverhead, and Long Bay,  has become a staple ride. But there is a loathing of people on bicycles here, pretty much no sense of community for riding, and I ride alone. Also no events to train for (or I just don't feel like it)... so pretty hard to actually be motivated. In SA I would train for stage races and even short 30 to 40km events like trailseeker,  Magalies, Amohela etc.. 

I got down to Rotorua once in the past year, and enjoyed my ride at the redwoods. But that's like an ultra special occasion... 4 hours away from where I live. 

Sorry, I'm not looking for sympathy,  just felt the need to put it out there and see if anyone has a tip for staying motivated and possibly enjoying mountain biking again.

It could be me writing this post! 

I feel the same and been thinking this so much lately. 

I want to show my kids how much I use to love it, but it's so damn hard.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:51 PM, patham said:

I still try and get a weekend ride in most weekends here in Brissie, but it helps that I live next to a trail head (probably hard XC, medium trail, easy enduro type levels).

But on the e-bike thing, I reckon this year is the first time I have noted more e-bikes than normal ones on my trails, the tide has definitely turned. 

Thing I noted is that a few years back, good e-bikes were a huge premium to the manumatic ones. But now, conventional bikes have gotten so expensive, that the cost of the motor is actually not that much more of a step up.

Is Brisbane a good move for wanting to be active (year around)? I can move there 'tomorrow' from a work perspective of we would have wanted to.

4 minutes ago, hayleyearth said:

Is Brisbane a good move for wanting to be active (year around)? I can move there 'tomorrow' from a work perspective of we would have wanted to.

Don't worry, just saw your post about the spiders and snakes!!

Should we all do a MTB catch up with a ride and lunch maybe (with families) to light our riding sparks again?

Any of you selling a 20" or low stand over 24" bike?  :D my daughter needs an upgrade and I never thought I'll have a Specialized in my house but she has her heart on the Riprocker!!! (Any better suggestions?? Please help me out.. Haha)

21 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Don't worry, just saw your post about the spiders and snakes!!

Many people here don't die every day.

I live a row of houses away from the forest (say 40 m), so I probably am at more risk than most. 

The Golden Orbs look nasty, but don't venture inside. The Huntsmen (the big rain spiders back in Sunny SA) look even scarier. In my 10 years I've had to evict two that were so big you could hear them pitter patter on the drywall. Bigger than my biggest tupperwares in fact, so I could only shoe them out with a broom. But Brissie seems to be lacking in dangerous spiders.

And no venomous snakes in our yard, but say a total of five carpet pythons, tree snakes etc over the years. And they're good for the rats, another unfortunate import from the colonisation process.

As you move further into the heart of the 'burbs in Brissie, the rate of wildlife encounters will drop off, but then you get further away from the MTB trails (which was 50% of the reason for choosing this suburb). But there are reasonable bike paths around in some (not all) areas so in theory you can get more exercise in. But I knew from the outset that if I need to put on a bike rack, attach a bike, drive, unpack etc, my riding would fall right off. Living on the trail edge has helped to keep me in the sport, and also my son to excel- as he could just go for a trail ride with himself/buddies at the drop of a hat and no adult required. Which is a bit scary when it gets dark and he's not back yet.....

21 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Sure I can't tempt you? I'm not Mr Active, but there are a few other Brisbane based old Hubbers who do a lot more than me. Winters here are great (minimums around 10 on average), and max of 24, so good for long rides, etc. Rainy season is typically in the summer, with just the odd cold front with some rain in June or so. Rain in summer is typically very warm, so at least if you get caught out you are just wet, not cold and wet which is a lot more miserable.

February is normally terrible - hot & humid. Can't even beat the heat by going out at dawn, as it can be 24 degrees and 100% humidity at first light. Heatstroke material if you exert yourself too much as your body can't cool by sweating anymore, I think a lot of the active folk then take up paddle boarding, kayaking etc, so they can be out on the water where you don't feel it as much. The sea near Brissie is sheltered by some big islands, so not much waves. Hence no sand beaches or surfing close by, but good for the paddle boarders etc.

I am by the Mt Cootha forests, so good MTB trails, running trails - and if you have one, horse trails. Used to see loads of horses when I arrived in 2013, now they seem extinct. Which is not a bad thing, as horses and MTB's need a lot of space to pass each other - they are big creatures when you're on a bike.