road bike purchase

eccc whippet

I am looking at upgrading my road bike at some stage...watching the classified everyday just to get an idea of what is out there for sale...was going to buy a new bike...but the exchange rate is too high...and the cost to upgrade the wheels just throws it out the price range.

weight 105 kg (dropping slowly...but would prefer to stick with a bike and wheel set that can carry the weight)

height 1.8m ( according to the giant size chart i fall in the m-l bracket.

seat height on all my other bikes - 759 mm 

the trek 1000 i ride  at the moment is a 58...really old...setup changed the stem to an 80 mm with 420 handlebars...my right arm is 110 mm shorter than my left arm so my reach is slightly restricted.

9 speed and told it is a donkey...

as i am told every time i want to purchase any bike new...i must upgrade the wheels...so the way i see it getting a second bike with decent wheels which can carry my weight would be a no brainer bargain.

this is what i have learnt since i started shopping around...(R20k price range will grow the longer it takes to find a good deal.

been thinking a 56 would be the right size and a 54 a little on the small size.

105 or better

10 speed 

wheel set i still dont know as i havent done enough research...would have to take my weight into consideration...some advice required.

I use the bike to do a lot of short rides which include plenty hills...the amashova...will be doing the argus etc etc.

i am not in a rush to upgrade...

Edited by isetech

from what I have seen, ultra lightweight wheels have a weight limit of 80-90kg. Then deep section carbons are generally around 100-120kg, but that's going to set you back a minimum of R10k.

Upgrading from standard wheels to a set that cost R5k won't give you any noticeable gains.

Get yourself measured properly and find the right frame, then go for a proper set up.

Here's something in your price range with wheels.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/165719-look-586-large/

Also been thinking along those lines...upgrading the wheels on my trek...i know the bike is not worth spending any money on but at least i will have the good  wheels...which can be fitted to the ugrade bike at a later stage.

i am also thinking about fitting a decent gps was thinking a 520...but it might be better to go with an 810...finding the right seat...pedals...power meter...all of which can be moved to the upgraded bike when i find it...who knows maybe i just need a new frame by the time i am finished upgrading the trek...glad i havent just rushed out and upgraded...ther eare are so many choices and different ways at looking at this.

the ideal move would be to find a bike with everything already fitted...

my right arm is 180 mm shorter than my left arm so my reach is slightly restricted.

you sure about that? 18cm shorter is quite significant. do you have special bars made up for your bikes?

i would suggest that you maybe hang ten with the new bike until you reach your goal weight, which is what i think you doing at the moment. once you reach your weight and saved up some more moola go and spoil yourself by buying your new steed. also, i would first invest as much as possible in the bike before i buy a decent gps.

happy scouting :)

Edited by Sparki 1

from what I have seen, ultra lightweight wheels have a weight limit of 80-90kg. Then deep section carbons are generally around 100-120kg, but that's going to set you back a minimum of R10k.

Upgrading from standard wheels to a set that cost R5k won't give you any noticeable gains.

Get yourself measured properly and find the right frame, then go for a proper set up.

Here's something in your price range with wheels.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/165719-look-586-large/

this is a nice bike! :drool:

I broke my arm once and as a result it is also about 1cm shorter than the other, but I have found that without even thinking about it my grip adjusts itself to compensate. So reach shouldn't be a problem, unless it wasn't a typo and your one arm is really half the size of the other..

Pretty much any Easton wheel should be fine for you as they have no weight limits on their wheels, but also have a look at these:

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/road-wheels/hurricane-tubeless

Also, perhaps consider having your rear wheel rebuilt with a four-cross pattern if you have problems with spokes breaking.

That Look is a very decent bike. I rode one as well and my weight was the same as what you are weighing now

I have just checked again today and updated...it is actually only 110mm now...you can see in this pic why my reach is shorter...this pic was taken after the bike accident...i was told i would never get to use my right arm or fingers...there is a piece of bone missing in my elbow...so i tried water sport...use to hold on with one hand until i eventually got my right arm and fingers to hold on and pulled my arm to were it is now...

post-70852-1448364347,9939.jpg

I have just checked again today and updated...it is actually only 110mm now...you can see in this pic why my reach is shorter...this pic was taken after the bike accident...i was told i would never get to use my right arm or fingers...there is a piece of bone missing in my elbow...so i tried water sport...use to hold on with one hand until i eventually got my right arm and fingers to hold on and pulled my arm to were it is now...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1448364352.702859.jpg

Ok, this picture needs a bit of explanation.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1448364352.702859.jpg

lol, great success isetech! :P

Ok, this picture needs a bit of explanation.

In the pic my right arm is as straight as i could get it ...it did improve after many more hours on the water....the last time i checked the reach was 180 mm shorter...it seems it has improved with cycling.

I hit a steel pole with my fist while sliding down the road...which is why my hand and thumb is pinned back together....the elbow has a piece missing in the ball...which broke when the bone came out the back....which now restricts the elbow. From straightening.

And no i didnt stop riding...i got smart and bought yzf R1...much safer to ride a super bike with the right technology and better braking[emoji6]

The scott foil 2013...looks like a good deal...if i had an extra 8 k in piggy box...i would looking at this bike...looks like the correct size 56

Edited by isetech

Had a look at the frame size selection for the scott...seems pretty much the same as the giant chart...1.8 height top end of medium...bottom end of large......so it looks like i could choose from a 56-58...a 56 would mean i keep the standard stem 110 mm or a 58 i shorten it to an 80 mm