SID dual air vs Single Air

wapad

I would like to know if there is a vast improvement or any improvement from the D/Air to Single Air.

I have a SID RL 2011/2012 29" still in excellent condition and was considering some options.

also who does one approach for the spares instead of through the LBS.

I was relatively happy with my current shock but weighing up my options.

I have both ..I have a brand new sid solo and an old sid xx dual air .The old fork is very smooth and i like the ability to tune the two air chambers .The new sid also works really well .Both are 120mm .If it works well keep it 

To cut a long story short all SID's are effectively "dual air" but on all the ones post 2012 you can not adjust the negative air chamber interdependently of the positive. A single air have a small groove on the inside of the left leg which lets the air exchange between the positive and negative chambers every time the fork is compressed.

I run a 2012 SID XX WC and love the small adjustments/tweaks you can make with a dual air. For example you can make the initial 30mm of travel fairly hard and then have it soften up through the rest of the stroke by running the negative around 40% lower than the positive and visa versa if you want small bump sensitivity.

So if you are running your dual air's positive and negative pressures the same you probably wouldn't find a single air any different. If you happy with your current fork why change?

Edit: I forgot that with the dual airs you can change the travel by adding or removing spacers where as the solo air's need a new air shaft.

Dual air is great if you know how to set up a shock well - but single air is much easier to set up - unless you just set both chambers the same all the time.

I have a dual air SID and a single air SID - not much in it realistically unless you are super picky on your setup.

Archived