Ultegra Di2

eccc whippet

Any tips on using the Di2...doing firmware upgrades...making adjustments...maintenance...bike washing...etc

or just dont fiddle rather get the lbs to make adjustments and do firmware upgrades?

it all seems pretty simple...every 2-3 months charge the battery...wash the bike like i always do...bit of warm soapy water...leave the battery in while washing (the battery is externally mounted under the frame) and get use to which lever moves up and which move down...there is a smooth lever and a rough lever...at least the gear changing is super fast compared to my old mechanical system.

And enjoy the best shifting experience you could wish for. 

I let my LBS do upgrades etc when I take it to them for a service. I alert them when I book it in as the mechanic needs to bring his laptop to do it.

Adjustments are as easy as pie. You'll find tons of videos on YouTube. I have few mechanical skills and I find the settings very simple.

I have had the Ultegra Di2 11 speed for about 17 months.

Perfect shifting everytime.

I was the bike every two weeks or so with cleen green and a hose pipe. I have ridden many rides in the rain with no problems.

I charged the battery about 2 weeks after I got the system installed just to be sure. Battery lasts about 4 to 5 months. I ride about 6000km a year.

If the battery is going flat, and you have forgotten to charge the battery, you will notice a slight change in the sound when shifting the front derailleur.

I installed and set up the system and have done the two firmware upgrades that were due without a problem.

I have the internal seatpost battery, which makes the firmware & system access easier.

Unfortunately my wife has the DA Di2 and I the mechanical.....just how it is!

I do all my bike work myself and this is my recommendation.

- the DI2 limits and settings once set will stay set due to their not being a mechanical pull and release and hence cable stretch and friction.

- I never bring a hosepipe close to my road bikes, a wipe with a warm soapy cloth (not dripping) water and a cloth dipped in water afterwards is all that is needed

- always best to keep water from components, bottom brackets etc.

- DI2 components just need a wipe and no lubrication

-  Always make sure that the cables are free from catching on anything specially the RD cable

- Upgrading the software is easy, download it to your laptop, plug in the charger unit between the computer and the unit and follow the instructions. The mtb DI2 is a bit more involved. Play around with it the etube software is very user friendly

- Depending on how many times you ride and shift the battery should last 3-6 months. I always charge at 50% just to be sure.

- The servo motors are very strong so keep your fingers out of the way when working on the units

- Take care not to bump the FD and RD

Enjoy it, DI2 is great!

If you watched that road bike party 2 video they sunk Di2 in a water and there was no issue, they were surprised how tough it was.

Weimaraner1

"- Upgrading the software is easy, download it to your laptop, plug in the charger unit between the computer and the unit and follow the instructions. The mtb DI2 is a bit more involved. Play around with it the etube software is very user friendly"

Help me here - I assume that you have the later version of DI2 with the internal battery and the charging that's done via the front control unit. How do I do this firmware upgrade on the older version with an external battery - I assume I need a special cable.

Weimaraner1

"- Upgrading the software is easy, download it to your laptop, plug in the charger unit between the computer and the unit and follow the instructions. The mtb DI2 is a bit more involved. Play around with it the etube software is very user friendly"

Help me here - I assume that you have the later version of DI2 with the internal battery and the charging that's done via the front control unit. How do I do this firmware upgrade on the older version with an external battery - I assume I need a special cable.

Might find the info you need here

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/help_manual.html

I'm a bit confused. Why would a electronic shifting system like the DI2 need a firmware/software upgrade? Do they find better and easier ways to shift all the time?  :huh:

I'm a bit confused. Why would a electronic shifting system like the DI2 need a firmware/software upgrade? Do they find better and easier ways to shift all the time? :huh:

In short, yes.

Find better ways to conserve the battery with more efficient use of servos and multi shift, also ability to talk to garmins and other devices.

I'm a bit confused. Why would a electronic shifting system like the DI2 need a firmware/software upgrade? Do they find better and easier ways to shift all the time? :huh:

Communication protocol updates and improvements, bug fixes, improvements to battery life in standby or active modes, etc.

Interesting info about the updates, thanks chaps.

Quick question for those that might already know, do you connect the junction box to the computer while it is installed on the bike and does a cable to connect come with the Di2 bike (assuming its a new bike) or do you have to buy a separate cable?

Interesting info about the updates, thanks chaps.

Quick question for those that might already know, do you connect the junction box to the computer while it is installed on the bike and does a cable to connect come with the Di2 bike (assuming its a new bike) or do you have to buy a separate cable?

Yes and yes

USB cable is SM-PCE1/SM-BCR2 that comes with the bike, if not you can order it.

Installation of software and connecting cable to bike here http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/install.html

Archived