Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Morning! Looking for advice on lights please. Currently riding with magic light +-1000 lumens, plus Lenser helmet light. I have the option to add a second light with similar output as the ML or go for the Extremelights Endurance light. Is this better? What lights are people using? Apparently 800 lumens is ok, but is that so? Am not convinced by my current set up!

1000 lumens is much more than you need (in my experience). You will probably ride with your lights on the lowest setting to preserve battery life in any event. I'm riding with a Serfas 500 lumen (its a small unit) on its lowest setting. Because we aren't riding any major singletrack or technical sections, you literally just need one rider up front at a time with a decent light on. Choose reliability over brightness. Enjoy the Never-Ender: thats when its normally pretty dark for 85% of the field!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1000 lumens is much more than you need (in my experience). You will probably ride with your lights on the lowest setting to preserve battery life in any event. I'm riding with a Serfas 500 lumen (its a small unit) on its lowest setting. Because we aren't riding any major singletrack or technical sections, you literally just need one rider up front at a time with a decent light on. Choose reliability over brightness. Enjoy the Never-Ender: thats when its normally pretty dark for 85% of the field!

Thanks! Will stick with my lights then and get an extra battery for back-up. Going to be a loooooooong ride ????????

Anybody riding G2C this weekend and riding back to Grahamstown as TB training??

Heard this morning from a friend that just returned from holiday that the roads are very bad on the Jbay side of the kloof, sinkplaat and bad potholes, especially since the good rains of 3 weeks ago and the trucks delivering the citrus products.

Need accommodation for 3 riders on 12 August. Please!!! Anyone out there that can help?????

Might be able to help with 2 but its very basic.  Contact me for details please. 0827755177

Last year was good, it can get hotter, it can get wetter, it can get windier and it can get a lot colder...2010 was very hot, 2011 had so much rain beforehand that the 'Langsbaviaans' was held (the day itself also got quite cold with temps below freezing during the night), 2012 had LOTS of watercrossings - we stopped counting at 30-odd, 2013 was a moderate year, 2014 had quite a strong headwind on the 1st 100km's and last year quite a strong tailwind. The road surface also varies quite a lot from year to year, 2014 especially was quite bad if I remember correctly.

Maybe Velouria can confirm but there was a year where it rained almost for the full 24 hours...

Yeah - that was the 3rd one wasn't it? 2007?

The very first one was a bit wet too. Now that I think about it, we've only really had bad weather twice (although I will concede that I was finished by the time it start raining in 2013).

My biggest concern is the weather. Did my first last year and the weather was awesome. I've heard though that it's usually a different story. Cold I can handle, but cold and rain... I don't know.

It's a special race! Enjoy it and take in all the sights.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last year's weather is actually the norm. Was even a little on the chilly side ;)

Morning! Looking for advice on lights please. Currently riding with magic light +-1000 lumens, plus Lenser helmet light. I have the option to add a second light with similar output as the ML or go for the Extremelights Endurance light. Is this better? What lights are people using? Apparently 800 lumens is ok, but is that so? Am not convinced by my current set up!

Ha ha ha. And to think my first one I did with a halogen light that put out 80 lumens, and needed 5 C batteries with a runtime of 3 hours.

You shouldn't need anything other than the magic light. I wouldn't even bother with the helmet light.

Team #304 can make it anymore so I've got an entry for two on the 1st weekend available. I have too many things happen to train and the funds for travelling and accommodation simply is not available anymore. R1500.00. You contact me with PM for details.

Archived