Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

How's the training going guys, are some of you leaving it to the last month?

I'm tapering

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HIITs start this week! Number of rides for May/June almost doubled compared to last year. Miss the 100miler this year though

T minus 7 weeks 5 days!!

How's the training going guys, are some of you leaving it to the last month?

unfortunately yes, not by choice though. Training will commence on the 19th July only, I am in for the 2nd week.

The HIITs start this week! Number of rides for May/June almost doubled compared to last year. Miss the 100miler this year though

T minus 7 weeks 5 days!!

Same here as far as doubling last year's efforts. I'm really looking forward to moving out of Zone 2  :blush:

Late entry sorted..

checked the dates, flip its only about 8 weeks time... Eish

First one for me, very excited.

i grabbed a late entry.... took a rest from sani for 4 weeks..now started training again.... we should be covering 130km this saturday or sunday.... we going to increase 10 % till we get to 180km and keep doing hiit during the week... this is going to be a learning curve for us, we have never attempted long endurance rides.

i grabbed a late entry.... took a rest from sani for 4 weeks..now started training again.... we should be covering 130km this saturday or sunday.... we going to increase 10 % till we get to 180km and keep doing hiit during the week... this is going to be a learning curve for us, we have never attempted long endurance rides.

If you keep that up you will be fine

* Re - posting for the original tread..*

So... Lets get into a bit of a Trans mode here.. Lets talk gear, training and tips 'n tricks.

My first time this year, haven't trained, full of cigars and wine, but did the Epic, which makes me indestructible... :whistling:   :whistling:

Bike  : Santa

Tyres : I usually Schwalbe everything, but going for Vittoria's just to be sure :thumbup:

Apparel : Assos everything

Lights : Need some

Nutrition : 32GI

Hopes  : To finish

Dreams : No Rain whatsoever

If you'd like to add some valuable info, plz proceed..

Have a great week gents!

i was looking at route profile, gets a bit steep in some sections 30%  :eek:  either way we going to k@k ...230km 

This weekend we did our first really long ride. We started at Van Gaalens, headed out and did the concrete climb, then tant Miems & dagga pad. We headed towards oom Piets, did the Nguni and from there on we headed to Breedts Nek. When we got to the top I was broken so we did not go over. We turned around and headed back to VG. Eventually we ended on 133km in total of 8:10 (about 7:30 ride time) with 1350 accent.

After this, I am seriously reconsidering doing the TB. I don't think I have it in me...... How would I ride like this compare to the TB (except for the obvious 100km short)?

This weekend we did our first really long ride. We started at Van Gaalens, headed out and did the concrete climb, then tant Miems & dagga pad. We headed towards oom Piets, did the Nguni and from there on we headed to Breedts Nek. When we got to the top I was broken so we did not go over. We turned around and headed back to VG. Eventually we ended on 133km in total of 8:10 (about 7:30 ride time) with 1350 accent.

After this, I am seriously reconsidering doing the TB. I don't think I have it in me...... How would I ride like this compare to the TB (except for the obvious 100km short)?

youll be fine, take it easy

Reached my longest distance this past weekend at 135km with 450m elev.

Suffered the last 20km with cramps and lower back pain   :unsure:

What I learned is to seriously look at my nutrition and drinking habits.

As far as I understand the lower back pain in most cases is caused due incorrect bike setup ?

Perhaps I will have to go to my LBS to check. Did a bike fit when I bought the bike a year ago.

Plan is to increase the distance in my rides for the next couple of weekends.

apparently 1st 100km is downhill...... thats what they say  :blink:

apparently 1st 100km is downhill...... thats what they say :blink:

if that's true then I only need to train for the 140km that follows

I am doing Trans no 5 this year.  All of them were slow finishes.  It is important  to pace yourself.  If you are not used to endurance riding I suggest you take it slow in the beginning.  It is NOT down hill all the way for the 1st 100km.  The first 27/30 km has a lot of climbing. There are some monster climbs like Baviaans back, the fangs and the Bergplaas! Remember that there is nothing wrong with some walking! The most important thing about Trans Baviaans is that it is 35%  cycling fitness and 65% mental fitness! Good luck and feel free to contact me !

Archived