Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any1 else going single speed? :clap:

There are usually a couple of Singlespeeders, some of them here on the Hub. 

Morning! Looking for advice on lights please. Currently riding with magic light +-1000 lumens, plus Lenser helmet light. I have the option to add a second light with similar output as the ML or go for the Extremelights Endurance light. Is this better? What lights are people using? Apparently 800 lumens is ok, but is that so? Am not convinced by my current set up!

Morning! Looking for advice on lights please. Currently riding with magic light +-1000 lumens, plus Lenser helmet light. I have the option to add a second light with similar output as the ML or go for the Extremelights Endurance light. Is this better? What lights are people using? Apparently 800 lumens is ok, but is that so? Am not convinced by my current set up!

You will be 100%. I ride with a similar setup,just use the brightest setting for the major descents (Big Dipper if you are slow like us and go down there at night) and some sections after that.

We all had one light each last year. I have a 8cell battery though, which you can charge at checkpoint 7 at the Extremelights stall while you freshen up. I ran my light at 50% (500lumen) most of the way, and only put on 100% down the Dipper.

Helmet light ICE is a good idea though.

Thanks hboli4 and dee_biker - will rather spend the money on a new battery then I think. 

I have a question for those who have done this before.

I have a bit of a predicament. I have to do this event as a fly-in, fly-out. Is this possible? Which airport would be best and do you guys know of Shuttles from that airport to Willowmore? I can fly in the day before but will have to fly out the Sunday evening again. I can Uber to the airport from JB (I don’t think it will be to much), but my concern is how to get to Willowmore….

I have a bit of a predicament. I have to do this event as a fly-in, fly-out. Is this possible? Which airport would be best and do you guys know of Shuttles from that airport to Willowmore? I can fly in the day before but will have to fly out the Sunday evening again. I can Uber to the airport from JB (I don’t think it will be to much), but my concern is how to get to Willowmore….

What time will you be able to be in P.E.? I think this might be your best option to fly into, you should be able to organise a lift for you and your bike from there to Willowmore on the Friday afternoon, if this is a option I will check with the people I know that drive in from there to find you some space.

Getting back to PE from J-Bay the next day should then not be too difficult either.

What are the plans for the rest of your team?

DearAll, know it is late and you are most likely all sorted with accommodation BUT, I now have 3 double rooms available any time between 13- 20 August 2016 in Willomore, can not get more central. Please spread the message or Contact me at 0837870080 for more information. Elsette

Another option is to fly in to George airport - 180km from Willowmore and fly out from PE airport. PE is about 230 km from Willowmore. You might be able to get a lift from George. The organisers is from George and might be able to link you up with someone.

I might have a 4 man team entry available for the 13th. Will know finally by this weekend. Please pm me your details and I will let you know ASAP

Broker" post="2920008" timestamp="1467955866"]I might have a 4 man team entry available for the 13th. Will know finally by this weekend. Please pm me your details and I will let you know ASAP

Hi Broker, l have people confirmed for 12th, so only available from 13 August to 20 August (second weekend) you can drop me a line at elsette.s@btinternet.com if that is any good for you

I reckon that depends on what kind of rider you are: eg fitness level; endurance capability; time expectations etc. Its different strokes... I'm a heavier rider (94kg) so a 29DS is a non-negotiable for me with over 10 hours in the saddle. But the terrain is OK for a HT if you're not too heavy and lekker strong - and if you've trained to go fast! But if you're not racing snake material, best to get some comfort built in where possible. 

Did first one on a 26er with a coil spring fork, didn't get feeling back in my wrists until the Thursday after.

After that it was on 29er DS which felt indecently comfortable.

Archived