Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Last year was good, it can get hotter, it can get wetter, it can get windier and it can get a lot colder...2010 was very hot, 2011 had so much rain beforehand that the 'Langsbaviaans' was held (the day itself also got quite cold with temps below freezing during the night), 2012 had LOTS of watercrossings - we stopped counting at 30-odd, 2013 was a moderate year, 2014 had quite a strong headwind on the 1st 100km's and last year quite a strong tailwind. The road surface also varies quite a lot from year to year, 2014 especially was quite bad if I remember correctly.

Maybe Velouria can confirm but there was a year where it rained almost for the full 24 hours...

As a short rider 2012 was a tough one with all those water crossings. At some points the water came to my hips carrying the bike through the water!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year was good, it can get hotter, it can get wetter, it can get windier and it can get a lot colder...2010 was very hot, 2011 had so much rain beforehand that the 'Langsbaviaans' was held (the day itself also got quite cold with temps below freezing during the night), 2012 had LOTS of watercrossings - we stopped counting at 30-odd, 2013 was a moderate year, 2014 had quite a strong headwind on the 1st 100km's and last year quite a strong tailwind. The road surface also varies quite a lot from year to year, 2014 especially was quite bad if I remember correctly.

Maybe Velouria can confirm but there was a year where it rained almost for the full 24 hours...

Last year was really good. We had all this winter kit in anticipation and it turned out to be redundant almost.

Like I said, cold we can do (rode in -1°C last week) but I'm a little worried about rain. Being from Pretoria when we ride in the rain it is still warm outside, so rain and cold is something completely unknown to me.

Be that as it may, I'm still looking forward! We had a blast last year!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

As a short rider 2012 was a tough one with all those water crossings. At some points the water came to my hips carrying the bike through the water!

I can imagine! I think it was 2012 where we had quite a deep crossing AFTER checkpoint 5? Had quite a sense of humour failure as you generally do not encounter any water after 5, the water after Bergplaas also not more than a tyre-wetter.

As Frikkels said, I would not 'race' my 1st Trans (I still don't, we have a 1st timer or two each year and normally finish in the back third, we also take our time at the checkpoints and stop for photos etc etc. - you can also loose a lot of time at the checkpoints, this is also where a 2 man team is much 'better' than a 4 man).

I don't ride with a HRM but on how I 'feel', whether it is battling with breathing or feeling too much strain on the legs or a combination of both, as soon as that happens I communicate it with the team and we go a bit slower. Over the 1st 100km, I just-just like to feel a moderate amount of 'resistance' in the legs and keep it that way.

There is a 'split-time' calculator on the website you can use as well. We normally aim to be at Doornkraal (Checkpoint 3) at 16.00 - we send our lights to this checkpoint. We then aim for a 14-16 hour Trans...

Thanks for the advice.

Where can I get the split-time calculator? I went onto their website but cannot see it. Perhaps it is just me.  :whistling:

apparently 1st 100km is downhill...... thats what they say  :blink:

I'm going for TB no 3 this year. We did a 10:30 last year and hope to better that this year. The 1st 100km is definitely the place to make good time. I wouldn't dawdle too much here as you can cover some good ground before the climbing starts and the night falls. HINT: Get into a decent batch of similar sped guys and see if you can stick with them on the 1st 100km. 

Then people waste A LOT of time at the various stops. Be careful about cooling down too much. Get your stuff and carry on. The stop at the top of the MAC is important: lights; warm gear; change socks etc. Get that hot soup in and take an extra 5 minutes to eat more than usual. Its a great event and it has become so popular! Its a typical South African marathon event. Ons hou van die afkak! Good luck!

Get on to the Trans baviaans fb page and send them a message. It worked for me.

Does anyone know how to get hold of Ecobound/organizers other than email?

Pathetic.......

Trans isn't an amazing race. First 100km pace yourself and don't over exert. It's the next 130km you got to be ready for. Remember to eat properly nd hydrate. P's. I have can checklist if anyone wants it.

These organizers are pathetic......

No answer on their phones for days now and no replies to emails either.

WTF!!!

I have said it before...It is amazing that they put on such a well-run event with loads of logistics if you look at the lack of comms etc when emailing/phoning them.

According to the latest news letter the best bike to do it on is a 29er DS. What do you think?

I've only ever ridden it on HT's, 3 years on a 26er, did it on a 29er rigid once and the last couple of years a 'normal' 29er.

Have never ridden a DS bike in my life so can't comment.

According to the latest news letter the best bike to do it on is a 29er DS. What do you think?

I've only ever ridden it on HT's, 3 years on a 26er, did it on a 29er rigid once and the last couple of years a 'normal' 29er.

Have never ridden a DS bike in my life so can't comment.

Did first one on a 26er with a coil spring fork, didn't get feeling back in my wrists until the Thursday after.

After that it was on 29er DS which felt indecently comfortable.

Did first one on a 26er with a coil spring fork, didn't get feeling back in my wrists until the Thursday after.

HT for me, I can only afford a bike with one shock.

Transbaviaans entry for the weekend of the 20th August available. This is for a pair. Unfortunately we will not be able to make it due to unforeseen circumstances. email: jacopit@gmail.com or klopper.andre@gmail.com or phone Jaco 083 300 3351 or Andre 083 454 9960

R3500

NB! Cutoff for substitution is July 15th. You will need a valid CSA license

I regretted the year I did it on the rigid a lot...

Archived