Over Training - Sore Quadriceps

Jason

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(But get that 60 min TT done soon Wink)

Was hoping you had forgotten about that.

Hey' date=' we are all waiting with baited breath for your numbers!
[/quote']

LOL

got this email from graeme street - basically trying to sell his programs,  but there is some truth to his comments - especially for us living in ZA:

"Is off-season training really necessary if you live in a warm climate all year? You bet it is! Keep reading if you think an off-season plan of fitness and technique isn't necessary.

I've gotten several dozen emails over the past few weeks about the topic of off-season training and cyclists that live in temperate climates that have 'good' weather most or all of the year.

They argue that they have no off-season. I would agree if I were a weather man, but in this case I have to disagree as off-season style training can be the gateway to future success!

The term off-season DOES NOT mean that the temperatures are -10 degrees out and the wind is howling. Yes, for many of us this may be the case, but the true application of off-season training is:

'A period of decreased training (6-12 weeks) intensity and volume in order to accelerate the recovery, strength, efficiency, and fitness of the body through the use of weak point training and technique driven drills and workouts to promote future gains in performance.'

Simply put, the off-season is a time to work on the 'little things'

like your pedaling technique, leg speed, positioning, core strength, flexibility, nutrition, and mental state that many of us don't do as we're out repeating the same training formula again and again.

The off-season is not 'easy training', but rather FOCUSED training!

In my mind the off-season represents the greatest opportunity to work on the things that need working on and NOT just hammering yourself on the same rides you've been doing year after year!

So, I say to you, re-think your perception of the 'off-season' and if you live in a warm climate, great! But warm weather does not mean an off-season of focused training is not necessary! You just have the advantage of working on the little things out in the sun rather than inside on a trainer. Very jealous!

I've met too many cyclists that are in the

warm weather = performance training ALL THE TIME thinking!

This will lead to decreases in fitness, a lack of motivation and a potential for injury. Trust me, I've been there when I lived in Florida for five years. No off-season training...No results!"

got this email from graeme street - basically trying to sell his programs' date='  but there is some truth to his comments - especially for us living in ZA:

"Is off-season training really necessary if you live in a warm climate all year? You bet it is! Keep reading if you think an off-season plan of fitness and technique isn't necessary.

I've gotten several dozen emails over the past few weeks about the topic of off-season training and cyclists that live in temperate climates that have 'good' weather most or all of the year.

They argue that they have no off-season. I would agree if I were a weather man, but in this case I have to disagree as off-season style training can be the gateway to future success!

The term off-season DOES NOT mean that the temperatures are -10 degrees out and the wind is howling. Yes, for many of us this may be the case, but the true application of off-season training is:

'A period of decreased training (6-12 weeks) intensity and volume in order to accelerate the recovery, strength, efficiency, and fitness of the body through the use of weak point training and technique driven drills and workouts to promote future gains in performance.'

Simply put, the off-season is a time to work on the 'little things'

like your pedaling technique, leg speed, positioning, core strength, flexibility, nutrition, and mental state that many of us don't do as we're out repeating the same training formula again and again.

The off-season is not 'easy training', but rather FOCUSED training!

In my mind the off-season represents the greatest opportunity to work on the things that need working on and NOT just hammering yourself on the same rides you've been doing year after year!

So, I say to you, re-think your perception of the 'off-season' and if you live in a warm climate, great! But warm weather does not mean an off-season of focused training is not necessary! You just have the advantage of working on the little things out in the sun rather than inside on a trainer. Very jealous!

I've met too many cyclists that are in the

warm weather = performance training ALL THE TIME thinking!

This will lead to decreases in fitness, a lack of motivation and a potential for injury. Trust me, I've been there when I lived in Florida for five years. No off-season training...No results!"

[/quote']

Some truth - but in general I do not find most of what he says in his mails to be anything other than sales pitch.

IMO the winter (after a rest if you need it) is the time to build fitness and increase FTP and any other weak fitness areas. You can train hard and recover less without worrying about being fresh for a race.

Once the race season comes around then it is very hard to do too much to increase fitness due to wanting to be relatively fresh for the weekend and then recovering from your race.