Import used bicycle UK to SA

Budza

Following on from my rather sad thread..

Search seems unable to find anything on importing bikes- though I can see related topics when browsing :mellow:

Anyway, I've got a well used commuter I'd like to either fly back with me, for around £50 or ship to SA via DHL or similar.

What would I be liable for i.t.o import duties/tax for the different methods?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132727-crc-duties-with-dhl-what-should-i-be-paying-help/ suggests just VAT (@ what value?) It's not clear how this works for used equipment. I could declare the value of the bike quite low due to visible wear and tear, though the components are in reasonable condition..

Anyone had experience importing used bicycles?

No duty on used bikes from Europe.

You will pay VAT on the declared value which is marked up by 10% and then 14% is calculated

Cool- is that the same for shipping and flying it with me?

Cool- is that the same for shipping and flying it with me?

In a perfect world and you declare it

You only have to pay vat and duties on the amount over your allowance which I think is still R5000. So if you can prove the bike is worth less, then you will not be charged. But if it is worth, for example, R12 000, you will pay vat and duties on R7000. This allowance is for all goods you bring in with you in total.

because that would be illegal, and if caught you'd be in for fraud. 

If its a second hand bike, they can't prove when and where it was purchased

Edited by CJG