Cramping when swimming, what can I get?

breaker

So just came from another session and had a long chat with the instructor, she recon she knows exactly what it is and something I have not thought about before.

Her theory is that the muscles are cramping because they are not recieving enough oxygen - to which she asked how do you exhale. My answer was "I don't" and that confirmed it for her. Basically my body is producing co2 which I'm not getting rid of. 

It makes sense to me and I spent most of the session trying to exhale, and oh my hat, its ridiculously hard to do it properly. Ended up swallowing water + breathing in water through my nose etc. Its gonna take a while but I hope this inconjuction with what you guys have suggests will help me get rid of the cramps.

@swissvan, would this theory fit your scenario as well?

Very possible... But possibly for another reason

When cycling or running the body is getting enough blood in e legs as Gravity is doing its job..when swimming not so much...so lack of oxygen is very likely. You will be exhaling otherwise obviously u will die.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try changing the way you kick.

I used to get stiff calves after longer swims (4km plus) but then went and learnt the 'total immersion' technique. After a long time working on it now my legs feel fresh as a fiddle after 2 hours in the water and my power through the water is super efficient.

Breathing out is also important though! 

Good luck. Breathe evenly in and out. It stops stitches when you run and will likely add a bit of efficiency and timing to your stroke.

Good luck

I've read quite a bit on triathlon training and swimming technique and the one article (i'm not sure which one now) indicated that your toes need to point towards the wall and not towards the bottom of the pool.  If your feet are pointing down, you need to exercise your ankles, and feet, so that they naturally point backwards.

The problem with fins, is that they are forcing your feet back and stretching muscles that aren't used to going in that direction and that is what might be causing your problem.

Hope you find some resolve soon.

good luck.