replacing derailer pulley wheels

Sp!ke

Hi all

Whilst cleaning my MTB today I noticed that the rear derailer lower puller wheel is looking pretty warn.

I haven't had any issues with it yet but how do I know when it needs replacing and is this something you can buy at a LBS?

Don't let the fancy coloured bling alloy ones fool you into wasting money. The plain black plastic ones work just as well, sometimes better and always quieter.

Don't let the fancy coloured bling alloy ones fool you into wasting money. The plain black plastic ones work just as well, sometimes better and always quieter.

But the fancy colour alloy ones are so pretty....

Just take note of which jockey wheel goes where (above or below in the derailleur) and the direction of rotation they need to turn in..

But the fancy colour alloy ones are so pretty....

I know, that's why I have a slightly used pair in my odds and ends box........... :blush:

if you decide to go with the alloy ones only buy if you got shimano , gives a lot of crap when run on sarm mech's

Thanks guys

So the basic plastic will work fine. I'm running SRAM X0 at the back.

And it is starting to look a bit like a shuriken so I'm assuming now would be a good time to do it.

These jockey wheels are very cheap on Aliexpress.com. They are not too bad either, unfortunately they do have fancy colours, all shiny and bling.

Prices are pretty good on the pulleys, I see I can get 11 tooth BBB pulleys for R150 or a set of SRAM 11 tooth for R300. 

I'm thinking the SRAM would be the better option.

One other question: Am I going to risk damage anything if I don't replace a worn pulley straight away? 

One other question: Am I going to risk damage anything if I don't replace a worn pulley straight away? 

The chain may drop off the pulleys and damage the cage, but they've got to be pretty poked before this happens.

For R 300 bucks, rather just replace them if they're looking shot.

Archived