2016 motivation for getting lighter and faster

I thought about doing something like calorie counting...but rather gona focus on cutting out the junk first...especially any form of bread and fizzy drinks.

another downfall i have is eating everything that is put in front of me...today was good example...i didnt really need to eat the whole salad my plate.

We were made to eat everything on our plate as growing up...because we were a big family with a a small budget...we got whipped if we didnt finish our food...we were told that my father worked hard to put the food on the table and would not go to waste...problem was the dog who sat under the table didnt even like my mothers food :(

i never waste food no matter how sick or full i feel after the meal...and even help my daughter finish her food so that there is no food wasted...something i need to change in the future...a start would be to dish up smaller portions and rather good back for seconds if i am still hungry.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about doing something like calorie counting...but rather gona focus on cutting out the junk first...especially any form of bread and fizzy drinks.

another downfall i have is eating everything that is put in front of me...today was good example...i didnt really need to eat the whole salad my plate.

We were made to eat everything on our plate as growing up...because we were a big family with a a small budget...we got whipped if we didnt finish our food...we were told that my father worked hard to put the food on the table and would not go to waste...problem was the dog who sat under the table didnt even like my mothers food :(

i never waste food no matter how sick or full i feel after the meal...and even help my daughter finish her food so that there is no food wasted...something i need to change in the future...a start would be to dish up smaller portions and rather good back for seconds if i am still hungry.

Or just put it back in the fridge once it's cooled down. Use it for lunch or something. 

And yeah, that's a very big reason for weight gain. The use it or lose it situation. Eating as if every meal was your last. 

So easy to fall into that trap. Trying to determine what the optimal amount of food actually is for my lightie is a bit of a guessing game, especially 'cos he says he's purposely saving space for dessert. Carry on telling him that dessert doesn't happen all the time, so he mustn't save space for it or tell us he's not hungry and then eat dessert. 

But ja. At 4 it doesn't really sink in as much... 

I don't force him to finish everything on his plate, as sometimes he really isn't hungry. So if he says he's "full" I generally ask him why, and if he's waiting for dessert then I just tell him to carry on cos he's not getting any. If he's just "full" then "2 more bites please" but it's amazing how hungry he'll suddenly get if something is dependent on him finishing his food... 

Just totted up yesterday's food consumption. 

Including 3 glasses of wine (it was one of those days) a cheese & tomato roll and a double boerie roll, it was 1,760kCal. 

Not bad for a "cheat" day. 

Today's so far - 1/4 avo on multigrain seed bread and a coffee, with another 1/4 avo & an orange for lunch, with another coffee. 

Total so far is 560kCal. With the commute home still to come, and then dinner being around 600 or so calories, it's going to be a good day. 

One day at a time. Started the week this morning on 108.5kg. Let's see what this week brings. 

Kudos on calculating calories! Despite my love of numbers, I don't do that.

By way of motivation, perhaps be mindful of cutting too many calories out at once, especially with the commuting adding to exercise. You don't want to feel 'famished' after supper and then attack the fridge!

By way of motivation, it might be worth tracking/calculating just one day's calorie intake? Congrats on tackling the junk stuff, but sometimes the cold hard facts need looked at, especially if one's trying to 'problem solve', and they might be related to the second bold statement you made above? Perhaps re-define what wasted food is? (As Myles suggested for example...).

Yes, we all have the stamp of our upbringing, encoded in us, and I can also hear, from the past, my mother going on about not 'wasting' food, but if I'm honest I can also remember how comparatively 'small' those portions of my childhood were, and how seconds were not available and how consequently (?), skinny my family was. I also use the 'waste' argument when I 'want' to eat more, but it's just a convenient con that one's mind plays, or that we allow it to.

Dishing up smaller portions, is definitely a good thing to start now. If you can endure the pain, cooking smaller portions is even safer. I live alone, so that's much easier for me. If I don't have a pot full of 'seconds' to tempt me, I don't have them! If and when the hunger 'pains' come along after you've finished your food, get drinking more water, eat your food initially much slower, serve it up on a smaller plate etc. There's a variety of dodges you can use to con (condition) your brain that it's had enough food. This is particularly important if you're used to feeling sick or full, after a meal. And after a short while, you'll get used to eating smaller portions (we like to think out stomach's have 'shrunk'), but it takes time and training, but eventually you'll start using your weight (and exercise program) as feedback whether you've had enough to eat. That's not a very short interval to control on, but it's the one we all need ultimately, to consider. Good luck! 

You don't have to count calories all the time but it helps just to get an idea of what you're consuming. We tend to eat the same things a lot of the time which makes things easier.

Kudos on calculating calories! Despite my love of numbers, I don't do that.

By way of motivation, perhaps be mindful of cutting too many calories out at once, especially with the commuting adding to exercise. You don't want to feel 'famished' after supper and then attack the fridge!

It's to force myself to actually take note of what I'm eating. Found that the days that I do count them through MFP, that I actually stick to the "diet"

And yeah - though the plan at the moment is to ensure that there's only "good" stuff in the fridge. IE if I'm peckish after dinner, have a carrot instead of that piece of wors that was left over, or some more pasta etc. 

You don't have to count calories all the time but it helps just to get an idea of what you're consuming. We tend to eat the same things a lot of the time which makes things easier.

i am willing to try anything to unload this gut...which app should i use.

my only concern is the skin from gut is starting to hang over my pants...not shrinking like it has in the past...will need to get some super glue and stick it down so that i dont have to go shopping for small pants :)...another glitch in the human body when you hit middle age...if its not the eye sight...the memory...the heart rate...the hanging skin etc ;)...stay young people it sucks getting old.

i put one of my work shirts on today and found that it could be used a s a double breasted suit....i like.

i am willing to try anything to unload this gut...which app should i use.

my only concern is the skin from gut is starting to hang over my pants...not shrinking like it has in the past...will need to get some super glue and stick it down so that i dont have to go shopping for small pants :)...another glitch in the human body when you hit middle age...if its not the eye sight...the memory...the heart rate...the hanging skin etc ;)...stay young people it sucks getting old.

i put one of my work shirts on today and found that it could be used a s a double breasted suit....i like.

MyFitnessPal works for me. Links with your Garmin as well, so you have a full picture of what you're doing on a daily basis. 

As for the skin - should revert to normal over time, afaik. May take a while though... 

MyFitnessPal works for me. Links with your Garmin as well, so you have a full picture of what you're doing on a daily basis. 

As for the skin - should revert to normal over time, afaik. May take a while though... 

i starting to like this garmin device...will download the app...you shouldnt be giving me tips myles ...the race is on...i think i am gona go for a run to see if i can drop a few hundred grams ;)

LIke Myles says try MyFitnessPal. Loads of items already in their database and you can search or even scan bar codes. Also helpful to know in advance what you're in for. Believe me its a eye opener - thinking you know vs what it actually it.

Another tip is to forget about the constant weighing and measure something else like waistline. I know everyone is on about weight loss but you are really wanting fat loss. Add some training other than just cardio, do some strength training at gym. Remember you body becomes efficient and fat loss will slow if doing just cardio all the time.

LIke Myles says try MyFitnessPal. Loads of items already in their database and you can search or even scan bar codes. Also helpful to know in advance what you're in for. Believe me its a eye opener - thinking you know vs what it actually it.

Another tip is to forget about the constant weighing and measure something else like waistline. I know everyone is on about weight loss but you are really wanting fat loss. Add some training other than just cardio, do some strength training at gym. Remember you body becomes efficient and fat loss will slow if doing just cardio all the time.

This. 

It's why I LOVE a good weights session. That DOMS is a wonderful feeling! When you struggle to turn your steering wheel or pick up your gym bag, you know it was a good session.

Dammit. Now that makes me want to go to gym this evening after my ride home... LOL.

Oh - morning commute was good for 650 calories. This afternoon's ride home may be a bit longer and harder, we'll see. Then gym for the BURN. 

A brand new edge 520 on the dash...32 spokes replace and tensioned...now i have no excuses [emoji12]

27b4aa5430fa79dad729bfbe4e0e0ebf.jpg

2c6b337857d1fc028cf76808fe8a73dc.jpg

The rim was checked with no reason to replace...i am glad i could keep the treksta original [emoji3]

new goodies will definitely motivate you to ride more.

fat gut is the only thing keeping me off the bike...until i can control my reward program...food...no casual or training rides...the skin is starting to flap (a good thing) so it shouldnt be long now...the day i stand on the scale and it reads 104.9 kg...back on the bike and ride like stole it.

need to start training...

illova easton 7 august

tour da krantz 21 august

hill2hill 18 september (looks like i am gona be doing the 100km this year.

amashova 16 october (need to be below 100kg before this date)

94.7 ...20 november (might try this)

You might end up losing fitness with taking soo much time off the bike. Keep the training going and just get your mind in check.

Did the toti 69 er on sunday ...with a hrm connected out on the road for the first time...the result of riding against a SW for 35 km...then the brakes with 2 broken spokes[emoji57]...how many points would i get if i was still with vitality [emoji12]

7c3385d28a1ddac43b8b42b3a27b652a.png

2448480e687b3a1cacb1fe603525fe3f.png

Archived