2016 motivation for getting lighter and faster

More important than the bike setup...i have been focused on identifying the junk i eat and cutting it out and reduced the quantities i eat...havent seen any results yet but i will be patient.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through this phase last year, just worrying about all the technical stuff. Now, I just jump and my bike and enjoy the freedom. Improvements come with time and dedication.

A year ago, I would struggle to do a 25km ride in the morning, and it had to be flat. Now I can easily push a 45km ride with some decent elevation.

At least upgrading from the triple to an fsa double...the replacement rings are available off the shelf and hopefully i dont have to worry about breaking the chain when i stand up and put 110 kg while trying to climb

"bloody hill" [emoji3] now to ride the bike and see how it feels.

3426dad23a32758841a59e4bc622595d.jpg

At least upgrading from the triple to an fsa double...the replacement rings are available off the shelf and hopefully i dont have to worry about breaking the chain when i stand up and put 110 kg while trying to climb

"bloody hill" [emoji3] now to ride the bike and see how it feels.

3426dad23a32758841a59e4bc622595d.jpg

Are you ready for some repeats of the m19 ?

So disappointed in my weakness...I been strong and really making an effort with cutting the junk...I take the bike for a test ride last night...get home have a nice light tuna salad and water...then the gut monster got the better of me and I ate half the fridge...chips and a biscuit...it seems the gut monster felt after the ride it should be rewarded [emoji57]

Jumped on the scale this morning...106.9 kg...skin is starting to hang around the gut and getting soft (good sign)

The harder i get stung the faster i learn [emoji12]

The treksta has already been upgraded today...from a triple to a double 175 mm 50/34 compact crank...new chain and 11-28 cassette...some might not agree with the 11-28...but fatty needs a little extra easy to carry the weight...i would rather pedal slower than walking speed than ride in the recovery vehicle again [emoji57]

Gona leave the rattling red rocket as is...standard 172.5 mm 53/39 with a 11-32 cassette.

All this tech talk makes me sound like i know exactly what i am talking about... not really...but i am learning.

Would you perhaps be getting rid of the triple?  If so, let me know....

So disappointed in my weakness...I been strong and really making an effort with cutting the junk...I take the bike for a test ride last night...get home have a nice light tuna salad and water...then the gut monster got the better of me and I ate half the fridge...chips and a biscuit...it seems the gut monster felt after the ride it should be rewarded [emoji57]

Jumped on the scale this morning...106.9 kg...skin is starting to hang around the gut and getting soft (good sign)

Kudos on shifting the number down! A couple of suggestions for you:

1. Don't be a celebrating that loss with a food reward! Perhaps consider your reward is the new drivetrain? And you've got to pay that puppy back!

2. Don't try and persuade yourself that the 'binge' the night before didn't sabotage the weight loss. (We all do this. "I lost weight and I binged, so I can binge again and STILL lose weight!". Yeah, right.).

3. Protein is known to satiate hunger, so perhaps up the protein component of your tuna salad? Either with more tuna, or a protein shake as 'dessert'? I'm a vegetarian and often do this, with the shake, and not only does it feel like a bigger meal (2 courses!), but it feels indulgent (pudding!), my stomach feels fuller (because it is) and I suffer fewer post-meal hoover sessions. Worth a try? (PS as you probably know, immediate post-ride protein with some carbs, is also good for recovery, muscle repair etc).

What protein shake are you guys using?  I need to find something that tastes good, or else I won't use it.

I'm also vegetarian and recently started with the protein shakes again as my protein intake was way too low. It does indeed help in making me fuller.

I am using Musletech Nitrotech whey Chocolate milk. Bit pricey but has very low carb/fat content, and mixes really easy.

There is one advantage to putting in the effort to get faster...you get to rest longer when riding in a group ...In the past I have been the rider right at the back....who eventually catches up when the group stops...then as I stop out of breathe...you just need a couple minutes to get your breathe back but off they go again...straight back into the suffer zone.

What you put is what you get out...the group rides are certainly becoming more enjoyable...now I get rest a bit...take photos and enjoy the company [emoji3]

If I could just loose the other 30 kg extra weight I am still carrying I won't get blown off the back going up the hills...and I won't need to sit on the brakes going down the hills

I keep hearing the phase "it never gets easier you just get faster" trust me I talk from experience...it certainly does get easier...they must be referring to pro cycling who only weigh 65 kg and been doing since they were kids.

I remember the first ride with my mates at Giba...I was around 130 kg...had finished my water before I got through the first set of switchbacks on the green route....by the time I was half way up the hill I could barely walk never mind cycle up the hill...I had to stop and sit for a while...I was determined to do the whole route...thanks to Rorys patients who stuck with me and kept telling me the downhill is just over there...I eventually got to the top of the hill and made it back to the car park.

No matter how big or unfit you are just keep at it....it certainly does get easier and you get to enjoy the good company.

Haven't read the entire thread but glad you're on your way to achieving your goals. We all have our ups and downs, but setting personal goals are the best motivation we need.

Sure I agree, that it could be easier than suffering as you did initially, but what would be more interesting is the amount of calories burned or fat lost from 1 ride of torture in the start, in the same amount of time, than an 'easier' ride as you got stronger on the bike...

I dont have a problem with how full i feel after a meal...in fact this past week i cant finish a full salad anymore at lunch...i now split...11 am first portion and 1 pm the second.

Just after i ride i eat like i havent eaten the whole week...one of the reasons i have cut back the riding.

I dont have a problem with how full i feel after a meal...in fact this past week i cant finish a full salad anymore at lunch...i now split...11 am first portion and 1 pm the second.

Just after i ride i eat like i havent eaten the whole week...one of the reasons i have cut back the riding.

You need the exercise to speed things up. So prepare a healthy meal thats going to assist with recovery and keep it in the fridge. Go for a ride, come back and smash that.

Archived