Memorial Ghost Bikes

Tubehunter

think the idea is of ALL Ghost bikes, as a place where they can all be remembered, and their stories shared

Indeed. A thread for all of them so we can keep track of these somehow and make sure they get looked after to some extent as the cycling community.

Brilliant! nice one guys!

Must get those pics of BDFs up and Gregs when its done.

Have not heard anything further about the one for Andrew. I still have a rolling chassis for this if the family gives the OK.

Roy Smith's memorial bike in Bakoven was removed some months ago

Unfortunately if you only lock it down, someone will come and cut the lock and remove it eventually. Plus the residents in some of these areas will complain if it starts looking run down, which is what the idea behind this thread was actually. To somehow take ownership of these memorials to our fallen brothers and sisters and actively look to keep these in presentable condition so that they are not removed.

They make for extremely well received gifts to the families that lose a loved one and also serve as a reminder to every motorist going by (often daily) that as cyclists we are human too!

Sho, I was actually considering a FB page with this, and the whole explanation around it.

Do it, great idea, and will get much more visibility outside of our community - great idea.  Let me know when up and running so I can like, follow and share. :thumbup:

I rode past Bryne's (BDFs) a few days ago, its a bit over grown. I'll go trim the grass around it, put some new flowers down and take a pic for the thread this weekend when I get back to JHB.

Sho, I was actually considering a FB page with this, and the whole explanation around it.

I'll gladly do an Instagram account for South African Ghost Bikes? Picture, name of rider and location of bike. Keep it simple?

• 1 month later...

I noticed this weekend and confirmed this morning that BDF's ghost bike has gone missing from the scene on Hendrik Potgieter :(

• 2 months later...

On my commute home I met Adre's dad giving the bike some TLC.

This should be a reality check for all passing this site.

RIP Adre

post-27916-0-40315800-1499332370_thumb.jpg

Archived